Problem with German blue ram Help

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by Arp123, Dec 2, 2012.

1. A

Arp123 Valued Member Member

I got a pair of German blue rams from the LFS. I acclimated them for a hour. After introducing them to the tank, they gave not eaten anything. One of them is not swimming upright and its head is down and body up while swimming. They are hiding behind the driftwood. I did a water change before getting them. I currently have 4 neon tetras, 3 rummynose tetras and these 2 rams in a 20 gallon tank. Can you please tell help what to do? I do not want my new GBR to die.

Thanks

2. aquatic

aquatic Valued Member Member

Welcome to fish lore.

I am just about to head out in a couple hours to get my first set of rams myself so I am not speaking from experience yet, but from the reading I've been doing on them here I think they are just going to take some time to settle in before they feel comfortable to eat. I see on here owners saying it could take a week for the hiding to stop, and that tank re-arranging could set it off again.

3. OP
    OP
    A

One of mine are dying right now at this moment breathing heavily. They are very hard to take care of.

Good luck for you. Where are you going to buy yours from?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2012
  4. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Did you drip acclimate? What are your water parameters? Ammonia, nitrIte and nitrAte?

Most fish usually don't eat on their first day in a new tank. It's a stressful process being introduced to a new tank. Hiding is also normal.

5. OP
    OP
    A

I did the floating bag method. My readings are 0 for ammonia and nitrite and 10 for nitrate. The water is acidic.

6. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

7. OP
    OP
    A

What should I feed them to get them to eat? I cannot get live foods as I am a vegetarian. Is freeze dried okay?

Also should I get another or do I let the other GBR adjust for a while. I do not want to risk one more if it is going to die.

8. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

It sounds like you got weak specimens to begin with :/ If you try freeze-dried, be sure to soak it first.

While I respect you are a vegetarian, your fish need you to respect that they are not. And right now, they may need you to put yourself aside.

That said, you might try frozen as opposed to freeze-dried. It's probably more nutritious and will be more easily accepted.

Frozen bloodworms would probably be your best bet.

Don't get another right away. The one you have is going to need recovery time without having to worry about territory and whatnot.

9. OP
    OP
    A

It's okay.
    Thanks

10. aquatic

aquatic Valued Member Member

I just got back from getting them at Pet Smart (too bad not all the employees are "smart" too lol ).
    I'm in the process of drip acclimating them at the moment, can't wait to see them in their new home.

11. c

chevyguy8893 Well Known Member Member

I agree with Cichlidnut on the drip acclimation. They are just so sensitive to change, even with the hardiest ones. It takes me 4-5 hours to drip acclimate them till there is 3x the amount of water and it matches my water parameters. Anyway, I hope they get better for you.

12. freak78

freak78 Well Known Member Member

I took me 4 hours to acclimate mine. Their a soft water fish too. About the first week I had mine they were skittish until they adjusted to their new home. Now when I put then in my 55 gallon they did the same thing, hid till they adjusted to the new tank.

13. r

ramsforlife New Member Member

cos theres no pic i dont know wehter u have two amles if so when it swims does it flare its fins cos if it swims facing down chances are two males ones dominant and the others scared less lol i hope thats the case or they will die 28to30c if not ur in trouble sorry but not a wise fish choice if u have no idea lol

14. C

CatfishKing Valued Member Member

I have 2 males and there always challenging eatchother its fun to watch

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice