Problem with filter

Lorz

Hi guys woke up this morning with my filter making heck of a noise have cleaned it all out and it’s still not working I’m wondering if it’s the motor any ideas?

Also how long will my tank be ok without an operational filter?

Thanks

RayClem

What type of filter do you have?

Have you done any maintenance on the filter in the past few days that may have dislodged something?

After the noise occurred did you tank the filter apart completely, including removal of the pump impeller? Did you get it put back together correctly, including any impeller bushings.

If the filter is making a racket, that normally means the pump impeller is hitting against the sides of the pump casing. A few possible causes:
1. Something is caught in the pump.
2. The impeller bushings are missing, damaged, or worn
3. The impeller itself needs replacement

Is the filter still pumping water, even though it is noisy? If there is no water flow through the pump, the beneficial bacteria responsible for the nitrogen cycle can die causing your entire tank to crash if you do not have enough bacteria on other surfaces of the tank, in the substrate, etc.

Thus, if the filter will still pump water, keep it running, even if it is noisy.
If it is not pumping at all, you can use a pitcher or measuring cup to dip water out of the tank and pour it through the filter periodically to try to keep the bacteria alive. Another option is to take the filter media out of the filter and submerge it in the tank.

You need to make sure there is oxygen exchange at the surface of the tank through use of an airstone, sponge filter, etc. If the water is stagnant, the fish might suffocate from lack of oxygen.

If you cannot figure out the cause of the noise, either get a new impeller or a new filter. Finding replacement impellers can be difficult unless you LFS is well stocked, so a new filter is likely to be your quickest option.

If you do get a new filter, be sure to use the old filter media in the new filter so you do not interrupt the nitrogen cycle.

Over the years, I have used a lot of different filters and I have encountered a lot of different modes of failure. Some filters I have been able to repair, others I have had to replace. The more details you provide, the better advice I can give.

ForceTen

Guess its fixed.

RayClem

ForceTen said:
Guess its fixed.
Either that or he has not been able to get back on the forum.

Lorz

Hi yeah sorry had a nightmare of a day dropped my iPad so now it’s not working properly and he is a she lol.

Had to go and buy replacement filter have put some of the old media in it, old filter was cleaned a month ago checked everything today and nothing was blocked or broken. The top layer of the filter was thick with dirt and the under media was all clean. I have the jbl 920 filter so fingers crossed my fish will still be ok going to check my water later.

Thanks

RayClem said:
What type of filter do you have?

Have you done any maintenance on the filter in the past few days that may have dislodged something?

After the noise occurred did you tank the filter apart completely, including removal of the pump impeller? Did you get it put back together correctly, including any impeller bushings.

If the filter is making a racket, that normally means the pump impeller is hitting against the sides of the pump casing. A few possible causes:
1. Something is caught in the pump.
2. The impeller bushings are missing, damaged, or worn
3. The impeller itself needs replacement

Is the filter still pumping water, even though it is noisy? If there is no water flow through the pump, the beneficial bacteria responsible for the nitrogen cycle can die causing your entire tank to crash if you do not have enough bacteria on other surfaces of the tank, in the substrate, etc.

Thus, if the filter will still pump water, keep it running, even if it is noisy.
If it is not pumping at all, you can use a pitcher or measuring cup to dip water out of the tank and pour it through the filter periodically to try to keep the bacteria alive. Another option is to take the filter media out of the filter and submerge it in the tank.

You need to make sure there is oxygen exchange at the surface of the tank through use of an airstone, sponge filter, etc. If the water is stagnant, the fish might suffocate from lack of oxygen.

If you cannot figure out the cause of the noise, either get a new impeller or a new filter. Finding replacement impellers can be difficult unless you LFS is well stocked, so a new filter is likely to be your quickest option.

If you do get a new filter, be sure to use the old filter media in the new filter so you do not interrupt the nitrogen cycle.

Over the years, I have used a lot of different filters and I have encountered a lot of different modes of failure. Some filters I have been able to repair, others I have had to replace. The more details you provide, the better advice I can give.
Thank you

Top Bottom