Problem solving skills needed; Pump knowledge a plus :) 50 Gallon Tank

1. M

Mandy New Member Member

I have a 45 gallon fw tank in the basement with no plumbing available down there. I'm looking for an easier way to drain the water change water up-and-out the window each week so I don't have to carry it up the stairs all the time. Would some sort of utility pump handle this task? I figured there has got to be someone else with this sort of situation and maybe they could offer some advice on it.
    Basically - the tank is about 2 feet away from the basement window. The window is about four foot high. I think I just need something powerful enough to pump the vacuumed water out of the Homer bucket and up through the window... IDK - just looking for some time/back saver ideas. Re-filling the tank isn't too much of an issue b/c I just drag the hose in through the basement window and fill the buckets the night before - but getting that water out - ugh, what a nightmare. Oh - also, syphoning won't work in this situation b/c the window is ground level so the hose would just sort of go upward from the tank and never bend back down... tried it :(
    Thanks in advance for your ideas :)

2. g

ghotiguy New Member Member

I can think of two things you could try. First, there is a product made by PYTHON it is a gravel vaccuum. It has an attachment that starts the syphoning by using a venturi system it is a waste of water because you leave the water on while syphoning water from the tank. Second, I can't help but think you have a sump pump in the basement. If not I am out of ideas.
    by the way the venturi is very similar to the attachment that drains waterbeds. you could try one of those with your hose.
    hope these ideas work... good luck.

3. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

welcome to fishlore, ghotiguy. Thank you for joining to answer a member's question. :)

4. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I have a waterbed, kept at 92F for the winter :), and the python and waterbed pieces are exactly the same. You could buy a waterbed piece and a hose and you've got yourself a python.

I agree that a sump or bilge pump would probably work, though you'd want a powerful one because it'll be pushing the water up.

One thing you could do is try and put a pump outside and use it as a vaccuum to suck the water out.

5. OP
    OP
    M

Mandy New Member Member

Oh - good ideas - thank you, both.
    I don't have a sump pump, but I've been looking at them thinking they could work. They're a little pricier then some of the other pumps I saw on amazon. I found something called a submersible utility water pump on price grabber and it comes from a pet place so I was thinking that may be something I could use. It was only $30 versus $80 and more for a sump pump. My biggest concern is they are all similar looking to those "pond" pumps people get to make their ponds have fountains and whatnot, but can it actually pump the water upwards through a hose and out the window? The python thing sounds neat, too, but I don't have a sink nearby so if I need to hook it up to a sink and have running water that could pose a problem...
    Hmmm - I never considered putting the pump on the outside of the window - that's a great idea - it might be easier to suck up water vs. pushing water up.
    Ahh - now time to impulsively buy something so I can use it by next week and save my poor back :)
    Thanks, again

6. r

ruthven78 Valued Member Member

what you have to worry about with pumps is head height. A fountain or pond pump would work, just be careful it doesnt suck any fishies into the inlet. Unfortunately some webstores dont list the different headheights, though if you can find one at a brick&mortor store (like home depot for example) there is usually a table on the box showing the max headheight. You would want something that had at least a 60" or 5 foot maxhead height. SOrry I dont have the time right now to research exactly how many the base GPH would be....you want it to be able to push the water up through the window but also have enough tubing to drain the water away from the house, I would say at least a couple feet away from the house would be safe.

7. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Great point. Water can only be pushed up so high, but if the pump were sucking rather than pushing (and above the water line) I think you could get more distance.

8. TedsTank

TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Hi Mandy!!

I've been looking at pumps, MarineDepot has a nice slection. Pond pumps should work fine but check on the boxes on how much head they can produce (as mentioned above) The head will be the distance from where you are pumping from to out your window...most pond pumps can probably handle it! Real low wattage pumps are the worst for pumping very high....and are designed to run 24 - 7. Water fountain pumps would be perfect as long as you know the head measurement....feet up.

9. D

David C Well Known Member Member