Problem Pleco...

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by orangeclumsy1, Dec 17, 2012.

1. orangeclumsy1

orangeclumsy1Valued MemberMember

One of my friends has a standard 20 gallon tall tank. It's kinda overstocked as well, as she got the fish from ANOTHER friend of mine who kept them in a 10 gallon. (Shudder.) It currently contains....

2 Angelfish
    1 Normal Pleco
    3 neon tetras

Sometime in the future, I'm getting her 3 more neons to complete her school. But her problem here is that this pleco is about 8 inches long, wayyyy too big for that aquarium! I'm willing to try shipping one from here (Chattanooga, TN) but I won't pay shipping. And this is, of course, after I have 50 posts. ;) Any other ideas though?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2012
  2. QQQUUUUAADDD

QQQUUUUAADDDWell Known MemberMember

Make her upgrade her tank? Maybe a 75?

3. YeoyWell Known MemberMember

Well don't buy any more fish while the tank is overstocked. Ask local pet stores if they would take it? Or put adds on facebook/online groups in the area.

4. monkeypie102

monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

Wow... I have a friend in Virginia with the same issue only the pleco is 14" and its in a 50g tank... she will be sending it to me over night once my pond is setup (decided to start construction now even though it is winter xD the weather is still too nice not to be outside....) anyways once you get 50 post message me the pond planned is large enough for 2 commons ans my RES and a few goldies (but I won't add any lol its like turtle junk food lol)

5. OP
    OP
    orangeclumsy1

Ohhhh definitely not. She's lucky to have what she has now. We just need to get rid of Big Al (That's his name. xD)

Found a solution, thanks!!! :)

Oh cool!!! And I definitely will. Expect a PM from me soon! I'll be at 50 posts in no time and I'm sure Big Al will have a ball with his new pleco buddy and turtle buddy! ^-^

6. allaboutfish

allaboutfishWell Known MemberMember

The angels really need rejoining too. Maybe she could upgrade to a 29? Its not that much bigger but should be ok with 2 angel and 6 neons if the neons dont get eatin.

7. OP
    OP
    orangeclumsy1

Like I said, she's lucky to have what she has now. Her mom won't allow it. The angelfish are happy and I don't want to try and get her to get rid of them. I'll see what all I can do though.

8. soltarianknight

soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

The angels will not be happy for long. They get a lot bigger then you think, A LOT. Easily taller then the 20. 29gals is a absolute minimum for 1. A 40gal is in store at the minimum, otherwise they will end up just like the pleco. Im sorry but that's just how it turns out, angels are also known for eating neons.

9. OP
    OP
    orangeclumsy1

I'm working on that. But she's rather attached. And they lived in a tiny 10 gallon tank for the longest time and their growth is already extremely stunted from that. I'll try to see what I can do.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice