**** problem now my betaa

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
One of my harlequin rasboras has a hole in its side and has white marks on his body but isn't acting strangely, still eats, swims with the other rasboras.  Any idea of what this is and if it's something to worry about?

Thanks

Austin

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Re: **** problem

White spots are always indications of possible Ich and a hole in the body could be Ulcer disease. Yes, I would say that if it is not something that you are concerned about now you soon will be. I would put a small amount of aquarium salt in the water unless you have scaleless fish in the water like sharks or catfish, and raise the temperature slowly to 85 degrees and leave it there for 14 days at the least. Neither treatment will hurt the fish and may do a lot toward healing the hole in the side. It should also take care of the white spots. The salt will increase the slime coat and helps provide a type of bandage over the hole to prevent any infection. If you do see signs of infection you may have to start some more stringent medication like an antibiotic, but that is a measure not to be taken lightly. When you do raise the temperature, do it a degree every 2 hours or so.

I am sorry that the fish is having trouble, but I do hope he does better. Be sure to let us know. You can use StressCoat instead of the salt if you have fish that couldn't have salt.

Rose

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Re: **** problem

I know it's not ich, the white spots are bigger than that. I have a pleco and a oto so I can't add salt and his condition all of a sudden plunged yesterday. If it gets much worse I think I'l have to get rid of him. I raised the temperature. Right now I have no money so I can't buy anything right now. Now my betta has a problem too. He has white stringy stuff around his mouth. Any idea what that is?

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Plecos and otos can survive salt quite well. I would defintely add some, start with 1 tablespoon (not teaspoon) per 5 gallons. The salt will aid in healing.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am sorry to disagree but Otos are very intolerant of Salt and will not survive long in that strong a solution. I lost three with a much weaker solution and will never put mine in even a grain of salt ever again. I do not know about the plecos, but Otos are very tender little fish and need the best possible conditions and cannot tolerate much deviation.

Rose

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sounds like you have Cotton Mouth Disease and it needs a treatment for fungal infections The Fungus Clear Buddies by Jungle Labs will take care of a moderate outbreak or if it is really bad go right to the Triple Sulfa Capsules by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, Inc. or some other antibiotic that specifically says that it will treat Cotton Mouth Disease. This is not something to wait about on and treat with salt or Melafix or Pimafix or anything else. Get something that says it will treat the disease and get the carbon out of the filter when you put the medicine in and raise the temperature to 82 degrees (the temperature that most medicines work the best at) and follow the instructions on what ever product you get to the letter. No matter what, okay?

Rose

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm not going to add salt. Plecos don't like it much and I'm not going to take a chance of losing him. I'l raside the temperature but I think it's to late for him. As for the betta I'v alreday been raising the temperature but the medicine I don't know about. Depends when I can get up there and I don't have enough money for medicine right now since it'l cost me close to 5$ or more. I'l have to see if my mom can buy me some.

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
We have two bristlenose plecos living in salted water. Not just being treated, but maintained with a salt content of 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons. One also contains an oto. I have also treated several of my tanks that contain otos with salt and have not lost a single one.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
OK well I know people who have lost plecos to salt. It just depends on the fish and how they were bred. Either way the rasbora couldn't swim so I got rid of him. What should I do to make sure the rest of the fish don't get it or can they not get it. Is there any way to help my betta until I can get some medication. He's not swimming much anymore and is hiding a lot.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Cannot swim? Sounds like a different problem. Is there a way he could have swim bladder problem or constipation? If so then he needs to have at least a chance at the pea treatment. It may or may not help with the cotton mouth disease as he may not be able to eat them. I am sorry but without being able to see him it is really hard to know what to tell you. I would say that he is not going to make it if he doesn't start to swim better as they do have to be able to make it to the surface to breathe. I am so sorry that you are having all this trouble, Austin. I wish I could be more help but I am not sure what else to recommend to you.

Rose

Marc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Rose, it sounds more like it had gotten so weak from what was ailiing it that it couldn't swim anymore, not that it had swim bladder disease.

atm, sorry to hear about your loss, but if I were you I'd get that medication ASAP. If you're going to not have a few dollars, you should buy extra medications when you do have money so you'll have something.

Was it possible the Rasbora had been attacked? It sounds to me from your initial description that he was either attacked or somehow injured..

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No it was the rasbora that couldn't swim due to his disease. The betta died before I could get any medication. Noticed it on Monday and he died I think monday night, not sure wasn't here. The rasbora died and whatever he had is now spreading to another rasbora but the other fish seem unaffected. No Marc I don't think he was attacked but it's possible but I see no aggresion towards any of the rasboras from any fish. All the symtoms I can see is a small hole/indentation in the fish's body and does not want to swim with the other rasboras as much and likes to hover in one spot.

About the betta is it possible that my bettas are dieing because of too much of a heat jump because I had a betta before in unheated and unfiltered water and he lived a long time (before I know) and now when I try to put them in heated water they die. My mom doesn't want me to keep buying bettas like this much longer, she thinks they don't live long.

Austin

Richard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Just my two cents worth,I've never had much luck with Bettas in a community tank..they just don't seem happy with tank-mates,and so I opted to give each of my Bettas their own 3-5gal. tank..since then I haven't lost anymore.I know there are Betta keepers on this site who have their Bettas in community tanks without any problems,so who's to say..as for the heated tank vs. unheated,what's the average temperature where you live?..are you experiencing the hot temps. that other parts of the U.S. are going through?..do you have a thermometer in your tank to record the average daily temp.?..here in the Caribbean,we mostly contend with hot sunny days,but there was a period a coupla months ago when we had several weeks of higher(hotter) than usual temps.,and lemme tell you I went through almost exactly what you're now dealing with..bottom line,if it's hot where you are,why use a heater?..just my two cents worth.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom