Problem: Harlequin Rasbora Non-stop Breeding Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by JimTemp, Jun 16, 2018.

1. J

JimTemp Valued Member Member

I have a 6 month old, 50 gal. planted tank. My first and only fish species were 12 small Harlequin Rasboras. I've been focusing on plants, balancing the tank and dealing with the inevitable algae (s).
    A little over a month ago, I started noticing tiny fry swimming about, hiding among the plants and the driftwood branches. Since then, its been a steady stream of new fry - two or three each week. The adult Harleys don't bother them and the fry eat the "First Bites" fish food daily.
    My problem is that I now have about 20 or so Harleys. That's enough! I don't envision this being a species tank. I was planning on adding a pressurized Co2 system soon, before I add different fish, as I pretty much have most of the hardware. If I add a couple of Bolivian Rams, what should I expect? Will it discourage or stop the breeding behavior? Will they just eat the fry?
    Suggestions and insight would be appreciated.

2. GuppyGuy007

GuppyGuy007 Well Known Member Member

Not sure if it would encourage breeding, but they would at least ear the fry.
    Hope this helpsâ˜ș

3. d

danhutchins Valued Member Member

If it where happening to me I would buy a cheap 10 gallon and Sell them.

4. GuppyGuy007

GuppyGuy007 Well Known Member Member

I second that, I wish my fish were breeding by themselves.

5. OP
    OP
    J

Thanks. At first I was excited, as everything I've read said they were not easy to breed, were delicate, and should be removed before the adults eat them. But it seems they all do just fine, and are soon swimming with the "adult" school. And it's too much, too many now. It seems every time I look closely at the tank I see new tiny fry! I think it's time to add a different fish - Bolivian Ram - to stop the population explosion.

6. d

danhutchins Valued Member Member

$$$$$$

7. r_e_g

r_e_g Valued Member Member

Will your LFS take them? Is there an aquarium club in your area? Heck I'm curious-what are your water parameters that they're finding so favorable? My red cherry shrimp population has gone from 6 to well over 100 since January with hundreds more on the way (I have dozens of females with eggs) so I'll be trading them to my LFS for store credit.

8. OP
    OP
    J

My LFS might take them, but, to me, it's not worth the bother. Besides, unless I get a bigger fish, apparently it will be a continuing issue. My water parameters are very good. I do at least 50% weekly water changes, have 0 nitrates. My dkh is only 2, ph is 7.3, temp is about 77 degrees. I run a Tidal 110 HOB and an Eheim 2217 canister. The 50 gal. tank is well planted, and I use Kessil 360 lights. I think it's because of the big plants, water changes, and the fact that there are just the one school of Harlequin Rasboras - they have the tank to themselves.

9. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

You can trade them in for credit for a bigger fish that will eat the fry but not the adults?

10. OP
    OP
    J

True. If they'd survive the transfer.

11. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

Either bag them in freshwater and place them in some kind of cooler (to keep temp stable and prevent jostling), or place them in a tupperware container or bucket and transport them that way.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice