Problem feeding my neons

rickyscivic
I had an airstone at the bottom but it blows the food flakes around so they don't get it. I took it out, but the filter still sucks it away or it sinks to the bottom and they don't eat it. Also, if its a big flake they swim past it. What should I do???

iat814
I have the same problem.

rickyscivic
I just put my fish in yesterday and there are only 3.... the food is sitting in the gravel

Rbacchiega
give them a while to settle in, try various types of food, slow sinking minI pellets would be a good start. Omega One or New Life Spectrum make both, and NLS is infused with garlic which the fish react to.

Keep trying but like I siad, give them some time to settle in.

Lucy
HI Ricky, Welcome to FishLore
First, let me suggest you read up on the nitrogen cycle.

I also have neons and had a similar problem with flakes
I switched to tetra sinking minI pellets. Mine really like them.
Since neons have such tiny mouths, even these were too large, so I crush them a bit.

Good luck with your tank.

susitna-flower
Lucy has a very good point. If your tank isn't cycled, your neons are probably starting to be stressed with the toxic ammonia building up. They are super sensitive fish, and do not do well in an uncycled tank.

All the food that drops to the bottom, and isn't eaten is adding to your ammonia level, as well as the fish waste.

Are you doing water changes, and vacuuming the gravel?

Remember a fish's stomach is no larger than it's eye, so they don't eat much. I find my cardinal tetras feed mid tank, and go after the really small flake pieces. You can crush your flakes a bit, but I would also say feed a lot less than you probably are. If you see them go after a little bit stop worrying so much about how much they are eating.....Worry about the water quality, because this is what will really cause problems.

If you don't have an API Master test kit for freshwater (liquid), you should pick one up and start testing your water, and doing water changes to keep the ammonia, and nitrite down so it doesn't kill your fish. Good Luck

rickyscivic
thanks a lot guys.. I'm going to try the pellets and see how they do..and I will read up on that too. thanks!

Firecracker
I crush flakes into smaller pieces in my fingers and then put it directly in the stream coming out of the HOB filter. That sort of pushes it underwater and they just swim through the cloud and eat. I put the bigger flakes on the surface so the bigger fish eat up there. As far as I can tell, the neons are getting enough to eat.

COBettaCouple
Welcome to Fishlore.

I have seen the very tiny wafers at the store and crushed flakes is good. You may also want to look for a small weighted dish that will rest on the bottom of the tank to put the wafers in. The fish will learn quickly where to go for food.

rickyscivic
they all died...why?????

Lucy
I'm sorry your fish didn't make it.

Just a guess here, they were probably feeling the effects of an uncycled tank, what were their symptoms? How often were you changing the water?

Lucy has a very good point. If your tank isn't cycled, your neons are probably starting to be stressed with the toxic ammonia building up. They are super sensitive fish, and do not do well in an uncycled tank.

All the food that drops to the bottom, and isn't eaten is adding to your ammonia level, as well as the fish waste.

Are you doing water changes, and vacuuming the gravel?

Remember a fish's stomach is no larger than it's eye, so they don't eat much. I find my cardinal tetras feed mid tank, and go after the really small flake pieces. You can crush your flakes a bit, but I would also say feed a lot less than you probably are. If you see them go after a little bit stop worrying so much about how much they are eating.....Worry about the water quality, because this is what will really cause problems.

If you don't have an API Master test kit for freshwater (liquid), you should pick one up and start testing your water, and doing water changes to keep the ammonia, and nitrite down so it doesn't kill your fish. Good Luck

Here is the link about cycling with out fish:
https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm
and
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfi...-methods-of-cycling-your-fishless-tank.19630/

After reading, if you have any questions about cycling, start a new thread, everyone will be happy to help you.

Good luck with your tank.

rickyscivic
one of em was swimmin upside down and died and the other I found stuck to the filter....1 of them survived

lilsoccakid
u need to do 20% water changes a day until the cycle is over

rickyscivic
every day????? how long is the cycle?

Lucy
Ok, some questions......you have 1 fish left?

Are you using a water conditioner before adding it to your tank?

Have you read up on the nitrogen cycle?

Are you testing your water?
If so, what are your readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?
If not, you should buy a liquid test kit, most here recommend the API master kit, it's very reliable.

How often are you changing your water? With an uncycled tank with fish, you have to do daily water changes.

Don't add any more fish until your tank gets cycled.

Now, go change the water and read, read read!

Keep asking questions, you'll get through this.
Cycling is a long process.

rickyscivic
ok lucy I did use a water conditioner and a bacteria suplement. Where can I read on the nitrogen cycle because the lady at petsmart didnt tell me anything about that. And I was told to change 25% weekly...I have to change it every day? and I'm going to buy a test kit today because I wasn't aware of that either.. thank you ...

Lucy
What kind of supplement did you use?

Yeah, we've all gotten bad advice from pet stores, I'm glad you found FishLore.

Do you still have 1 fish?
If so, yes, change your water everyday...depending on what supplement you used.

Here are the links again:

https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

This one is if you DO NOT have fish:

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfi...-methods-of-cycling-your-fishless-tank.19630/

Ricky, for anymore questions on cycling, start a new thread in either the Beginners Forum or Aquarium Water...subtitle Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle.
You'll get more help since this forum is about fish food.

needabiggertank
I read that your food gets suked into the filter....did you try shutting off the filter durring feeding?

COBettaCouple
I'd recommend using Prime for water conditioner and changing 25-40% of the water daily until it's cycled as long as you have any fish in the tank. The Prime will help lower the cycling effects of the fish.

rickyscivic
I used top fin conditioner and bacteria supplement and I also purchased topfin ammonia decreaser. I got the water tested and it was high in ammonia. I changed 20 percent of the water and added 2 more neons and I think they're doing ok but I don't want the food to pile up. I have shrimp pellets but even when I crush them or crush the flakes they really don't eat. It's like they don't see the food till it hits the floor then they won't touch it. (and I've tried turning off the filter.)

COBettaCouple
Look for the micro wafers (floating) or light flakes like cyclopeeze. Even HikarI freeze-dried daphnia. If the food can float a while, it could increase the amount they eat.

rickyscivic
ok thanks

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Fisch
Replies
Views
Fishcat
  • Question
Replies