Problem Feeding Bottom Feeders

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Alltema00, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Alltema00

Alltema00Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +25
    Experience:
    5 years
    My five bottom swimming rummy nose tetras aren't getting enough food...I'm looking for answers on how to feed them.

When I feed my fish with the flake food I have, the tiger barbs quickly devour nearly every morsel of food before it reaches the tetras. I tried putting in some algae wafers, which I did anyway to feed my Cories, but the tetras don't seem interested.

Please help

2. Demeter

DemeterFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,531
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Use different types of feeds, like flakes along with sinking pellets and/or frozen foods. Flakes at the surface should keep the barbs busy while the other foods spread throughout the water column and give the other fish time to find it.

3. bizaliz3

bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +17,147
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    rummynoses don't eat algae, so I am not surprised they didn't find interest in the algae wafers.

Try shrimp wafers or sinking pellets. Some kind of sinking food that is not algae related.

As stated above, if you have floating food and sinking food at the same time, all of the fish should have a shot at the food.

4. WTFish?

WTFish?Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3,034
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I agree with pellets and flakes so it’s at different levels. Bug bites are great for that as well, they sink slowly, so some are still floating while others start to sink. Also, cories may eat your algae wafers but it should not be their only diet, just an fyi:)

5. ystrout

ystroutWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +750
    Experience:
    4 years
    As others have said, feed floating and sinking food at the same time.

My school of rummynoses stand no chance competing for food against my gluttonous pearl danios and dwarf gourami. I put a pinch of Omega One Tropical Flakes and Fluval Bug Bites in at the same time. The danios prefer to go for the flakes and the rummies eat more of the bug bites. The danios eat the bug bites too but like the flakes better, I think because they float longer and they like eating off the surface.

The danios strike the surface so hard that it makes the bug bites sink faster and even breaks up the flakes and makes them sink so the rummies can get some of them too.

6. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +5,897
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Corys like algae wafers but it is really junk food to them with little nutritional value to them.

7. rbaron62

rbaron62New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4
    I also highly recommend the Fluval Bug Bites. To ensure that the food makes it to the lower dwelling tetras, I often sprinkle some of the food into the stream of water coming out of the filter outlet. This effectively allows some food to momentarily stay at the surface (for my hatchetfish), with the rest getting caught in the turbulence of the outflowing water and sinking to the bottom.

Hope this helps.

8. Islandvic

IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,608
    Experience:
    1 year
    My fish seem to enjoy eating Omega One Super Color Sinking Pellets and Ken's Fish Ultimate Shrimp, Catfish and Pleco Pellets, both if which are small in size.

I will throw some sinking pellets and broken up wafers into the tank, at the same time as some flakes.

Have you ever tried frozen blood worms or brine shrimp?

9. DuaneV

DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,796
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Tetras and Corys dont really eat algae, so thats a problem. Also, Tiger barbs are usually far too aggressive to keep with Rummy Nose Tetras and they WILL devour any food dropped in, so thats normal.

Id get the Tetras and Corys some food more suited to them that sinks and/or remove the TB's (Id remove them anyway honestly).

10. OP
    OP
    Alltema00

Alltema00Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +25
    Experience:
    5 years
    Thank you for your advice and support. I'm glad this site is here so that people with questions can get trustworthy information from people who have, from their own experiences, encountered these very same problems. It's such a relief to have your replies helping me fix this feeding problem...so relieved :emoji_man_dancing:

11. Tol

TolValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +304
    Experience:
    2 years
    Bug bites are awesome. I sprinkle some on top to keep the guppies busy and then some just under the water line to sink for my neons. The guppies win out on the surface but the neons are smaller and faster, so anything mid level, they have no problems getting food.

12. skar

skarWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +381
    Experience:
    5 years
    One simple solution that I use is a 10 cc syringe with tank water and food mixed.

You can put some food on top for aggressive feeders, then target areas where the shy fish are occupying.