60 Gallon Tank Probem with CL2 levels in Cold Water Aquarium

wjpbill

Hello

I'm having a repeated problem with levels in my aquarium. It is quite a large tank and is filtered with a Fluval FX6 and air-pumped with a Tertratec APS 400.

The problem I'm having is that one of the large goldfish (about 9-10 inches) keeps getting bloodshot fins and scales.

I test the water 2-3 a week with JBL 7 in 1 strips and the CL2 seems to be too high. It starts with the test strip being too dark on CL2 and then it lightens.

To combat it, I use Seachem Prime but I'm having to add it every few days to keep the large fish healthy.

I have involved a vet and he prescribed antibiotics which did help but it keeps returning. It seems worse if I clean the sponges in the filter.

To stop the irritation, I have found that if I remove the fish from the tank and put it in a hospital tank (a document storage box) and then add seachem, it all calms down again in a day or two.

I do have a Seachem Ammonia test panel stuck on the glass and that always shows normal.

The only level that is higher than normal in the water tests is NO3 but that's because there are very few plants in the aquarium because the goldfish destroy them all constantly.

I just don't understand what's causing the CL2 to go from 0 to 1.5 every few days and it's costing a fortune in Seachem Prime and test strips.

Would really appreciate any help you could give me.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Mongo75
Replies
Views
FreedomGuppy
Replies
Views
kanzekatores
Replies
Views