20 Gallon Tank Probably Pregnant Female Platy Is Creeping Me Out

PlatyLover4

Hi, my probably pregnant platy who is either overly I'm-gonna-burst fat or is squaring off is acting sooooo weird. It's night here and I've never seen her do this when the lights are on. She's practically floating up vertically (and is very straight) and then appears to almost topple onto her back but then right herself. I am hoping to avoid a swim bladder issue.... If it helps, I fed peas yesterday, a small amount of pellets today morning, and then the usual amount of flakes in the evening.

YellowGuppy

I'd hold off on feeding for a day or two altogether. Fish can easily go a few days (many people cite a week or more!) without food, so a single reduced feeding (out of two feedings in a day) didn't likely amount to much.

PlatyLover4

I'll try that if it happens again - right now she's 'sleeping' at the bottom of the tank. Do you know why she's doing it?

YellowGuppy

It sounds like bloating, but it could be any number of things. Did you happen to get a picture?

PlatyLover4

Did you happen to get a picture?
No.... It was night. But I'll try to get a picture if it happens again.
It sounds like bloating, but it could be any number of things.
Bloating? Okay, am I supposed to fast for 2 days and feed peas on the third day? She's acting perfectly normal in the day though and her gravid spot's very dark.

YellowGuppy

Gravid spots are dark; that's not an indicator of health. I'm also personally not convinced (and I'm not the only one) of the efficacy of feeding peas to usually insectivorous fish, so I'd just take a break for a day or two and then resume feeding after things have had a chance to figure themselves out. :)

otterblue

+1 for best thread title ever!

PlatyLover4

I'd just take a break for a day or two and then resume feeding after things have had a chance to figure themselves out. :)
OK. Thanks!
+1 for best thread title ever!
Haha thanks! :)

Also, I thought to include a picture of her (it is very blurry)
The female I'm talking about is Angel, the yellow fish. In this photo she is not acting weird.
You must be registered to see images

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Carbeo
Replies
Views
Aquatica88
Replies
Views
cpezza85
Replies