Probably Ick

KatNynaeve

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello I am new to the forum and new to aquascaping and fish keeping. I have always had fish in my life, but I have only been caring for my own tank fully for a little over 6 moths. I took over my sisters 20 g community tank after she moved out of state. There was only one very old tetra (I think it may be a Harlequin) and one anubus plant on the rock. After cleaning and re setting and cycling the tank I got 6 molly fish (a variety 4f 2m) and a pleko (clown), some java fern and java moss. I kept the tank like this for a wile, making some changes with the scaping to find what I like and what the fish seamed to enjoy. I eventually added a bumblebee catfish, 2 pineapple swards (1m, 1f), 2 nerite snails, and recently 7 amano shrimp. I also am currently cycling a small 5 g tank I want to use for shrimp in the future. I also added some more anubius, buce, guppy grass and some ozelot plants.
I did not have a quarantine tank, but I did have a floating breeding/quarantine box that goes in the tank and I would keep the new fish in there for about a week before letting them out. I have been watching my fishie babies and noticed they were rubbing up against some of the plants. One of my balloon mollies has been doing the fully vertical float swim near the top of the tank and again I took notice but did not think much of it because I know that balloon mollies have swim bladder problems more readily and she never stayed like that for longer than a minute and did not do it very often. I have been keeping my eye on them for a wile because of this and this evening I noticed one of my male molly fish laying oh his side on the substrate in the corner of the tank, I put him in the quarantine bin and noticed he is a bit skinny. I did a little bit of research and found that those three things in conjunction may mean Ick. I have not seen ick spots on any of my fish but I decided to go ahead and take a few actions.
I fed all of my fish again and made sure the lethargic fish ate some. I also made some garlic tincture ( sliced some fresh garlic, microwaved for 10 seconds and soak it in some water for about ten minutes. cut up some of the garlic into small pieces and put that into the tank, and dissolved 1 tsp of non iodized salt into the garlic water and then slowly pored it into the aquarium. I also set my heater to about 2 degrees higher than its normal 76 degrees. I also put in a dose of Prime in case my ammonia spiked (I tested it 2 days ago and my levels were pH 7.2, NO2 0, NO3 15, NH3 0.25, and I know I have semi hard water, I don't have any gh or kh testing supplies)
I plan to do a vacuum and do a 30% water change tomorrow, I will dissolve about 2 tsp of salt into the water going in as well.

Is there anything else short of ICK tabs I should be doing? I am hesitating to use that as I have read on a few different forums that it can cause the tank to need to completely recycle, and I have not seen the tell tale ick crystals.

also I am sorry for the bad spelling, I did my best

OP
KatNynaeve

KatNynaeve

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
KatNynaeve said:
Hello I am new to the forum and new to aquascaping and fish keeping. I have always had fish in my life, but I have only been caring for my own tank fully for a little over 6 moths. I took over my sisters 20 g community tank after she moved out of state. There was only one very old tetra (I think it may be a Harlequin) and one anubus plant on the rock. After cleaning and re setting and cycling the tank I got 6 molly fish (a variety 4f 2m) and a pleko (clown), some java fern and java moss. I kept the tank like this for a wile, making some changes with the scaping to find what I like and what the fish seamed to enjoy. I eventually added a bumblebee catfish, 2 pineapple swards (1m, 1f), 2 nerite snails, and recently 7 amano shrimp. I also am currently cycling a small 5 g tank I want to use for shrimp in the future. I also added some more anubius, buce, guppy grass and some ozelot plants.
I did not have a quarantine tank, but I did have a floating breeding/quarantine box that goes in the tank and I would keep the new fish in there for about a week before letting them out. I have been watching my fishie babies and noticed they were rubbing up against some of the plants. One of my balloon mollies has been doing the fully vertical float swim near the top of the tank and again I took notice but did not think much of it because I know that balloon mollies have swim bladder problems more readily and she never stayed like that for longer than a minute and did not do it very often. I have been keeping my eye on them for a wile because of this and this evening I noticed one of my male molly fish laying oh his side on the substrate in the corner of the tank, I put him in the quarantine bin and noticed he is a bit skinny. I did a little bit of research and found that those three things in conjunction may mean Ick. I have not seen ick spots on any of my fish but I decided to go ahead and take a few actions.
I fed all of my fish again and made sure the lethargic fish ate some. I also made some garlic tincture ( sliced some fresh garlic, microwaved for 10 seconds and soak it in some water for about ten minutes. cut up some of the garlic into small pieces and put that into the tank, and dissolved 1 tsp of non iodized salt into the garlic water and then slowly pored it into the aquarium. I also set my heater to about 2 degrees higher than its normal 76 degrees. I also put in a dose of Prime in case my ammonia spiked (I tested it 2 days ago and my levels were pH 7.2, NO2 0, NO3 15, NH3 0.25, and I know I have semi hard water, I don't have any gh or kh testing supplies)
I plan to do a vacuum and do a 30% water change tomorrow, I will dissolve about 2 tsp of salt into the water going in as well.

Is there anything else short of ICK tabs I should be doing? I am hesitating to use that as I have read on a few different forums that it can cause the tank to need to completely recycle, and I have not seen the tell tale ick crystals.

also I am sorry for the bad spelling, I did my best
Update: woke up to ShyGuy (the molly that was quarantined) dead, very sad but I need to save the rest of my babies! So far none of the others are acting different

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you're doing the method of using heat to treat ick (this is my favorite method) you'll want to raise the temp of the tank much higher. You'll want it to be 84-86 degrees. Leave it there for like 10 days or so and do good gravel vacs every other day.

Sorry to hear you lost one!

OP
KatNynaeve

KatNynaeve

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
e_watson09 said:
If you're doing the method of using heat to treat ick (this is my favorite method) you'll want to raise the temp of the tank much higher. You'll want it to be 84-86 degrees. Leave it there for like 10 days or so and do good gravel vacs every other day.

Sorry to hear you lost one!
Yeah I’m trying to raise it slow, especially with all the other things I’m doing I don’t wanna shock any fish especially if they are sick!

New Threads