Probably going to Euthanize my Goldie soon :(

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sarcasm Included said:
It is a sticky at the top of this forum section.
Thanks, i didn't even pay attention to what forum this was from. My bad!

I don't mean to ask my own questions on someone else's thread, but you all seem to know a lot about this stuff. But can some fish have a bloated appearance and NOT be ill?

Sarcasm Included

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes,
Overeating, constipation, and pregnancy are the most common reasons that your fish will be bloated.

sunnycal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Clove Oil in my opinion is the best method to use. You can purchase it usually through your pharmacist. Walmart carries it also. Two of my fish in the past have passed on very peacefully with Clove Oil.

sunnycal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
aHumanBeing said:
She made it through the night, she's still glued to the bottom of the tank but still hungry.
I'm glad she made it through the night and she did good with the transfer into the 10g.

aHumanBeing

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks for all the support everyone

I have some positive updates, she has gone through some phases lately. I'm really glad I didn't euthanize her. She did go through a terrible phase of staying stuck on the bottom but after removing all the meds with Carbon and a bunch of water changes she began to improve. Then she ate some food and went to the surface after eating and went right back to being stuck to the bottom upside down. Then she went to being stuck at the top. But she eventually improved, she is now capable of swimming and staying up right. She's still thin and lethargic but she is still very hungry and pooping. Today she is swimming very normally and loves swimming along side her friends beside the 75 G. The most positive result is that the "tumors" have shrunk...so maybe they weren't tumors. Maybe they were pockets of puss or parasites? I'm just speculating but since they shrank I feel like they're not tumors at this point.

Which lead me to my current treatment for Gertrude. After I removed every bit of medicine that might have remained in the water I began using API General cure. I chose general cure since she is staying thin and has had some poop that resembles parasites. The General cure seems to be helping a ton, the growths are shrinking and she is gaining energy. Below i've attached some photos of her current state

You can see the growth on her left side is much smaller and isn't pushing her scales out as much. The growths on her other side are hard to see but they are semi white dots which have also shrunk.

Beeker

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wonderful news!
I'm glad she is improving.
Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

sunnycal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That's great that you seem to think your fish is doing better. I hope Gertrude continues.

aHumanBeing

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Gertrude is on her way to a full recovery

She's almost completely back to normal. I think her gills were damaged at some point either from meds, parasites or the infection. She's gone through quite the debacle. Currently she goes to the surface and gasps after eating which causes bouncy issues.

Current treatments;
1.50% water change every other day using Prime and Kordon fish protector.
2. Vitachem 1-2x a week.
3. API aquarium salt: this has been very beneficial for her bouncy issues. Initially I added two table spoons and she seems to breathe easier. I then removed that salt after a few days via water changes. Last night I added 1 tablespoon of Aquarium salt. She's doing great and is going to the surface less and less.

Hopefully in a week or two I can put her back in the 75. She is chasing her friends as they swim by in their tank, she's very perky now

Beeker

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm so glad she is back to her perky self.
That is so great.
Your plan sounds perfect.
Let us know how everything works out.

aHumanBeing

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Gertrude is going back in the main tank right now!!!!

Also i'm upgrading the 4 of them to a 125 Gallon tank I recently purchased, which should help keep them healthy!

Beeker

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wonderful news!
I hope to see pics in the near future! Especially of the new 125 when it is set up!

aHumanBeing

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I euthanized Gertrude tonight, her abdomen burst open...there was apparently a severe blockage.

lbonini1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
aHumanBeing said:
I euthanized Gertrude tonight, her abdomen burst open...there was apparently a severe blockage.
I'm so sorry for your loss. She lived a good life.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom