Probable bacterial infection -- fin rot

1. Downward Dog Member Member

I lost 1 of my 4 corydoras yesterday (2 out of the 4 were sleeping upside down, this is the 2nd time this has happened to them). I treated them the first time with Maracyn and Maracyn2 in my hospital 10 gal tank. The stores were all out of these meds this time so I had to choice but to treat with Melafix. This is day 4 of treatment.

The other corydoras are younger and fairly new to the main 20 gal tank. They look fine.

My dwarf gourami now looks like he has fin rot. The fine webbing is disappearing between the fins so that instead of looking soft, the fins look barbed. His appetite has decreased just slightly.

And so:
    1. Could the corydoras and the gourami have the same affliction?
    2. Should I treat the entire tank? The only other fish I have is a remaining cardinal and a Zebra snail.
    3. What meds would hurt the Zebra snail? I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what to use on everyone since I have scaleless fish, a labyrinth, and a snail!

Thanks for helping me figure out my course of action:)

2. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

I know some people will not agree with me so hold steady after my opinion for other opinions. I would treat the whole tank with Pimafix and Melafix together. They work better combined.... I have had tremendous luck with that treatment for both finrot and ich. I would treat the whole tank and since they are herbal they will not mess with your cycle or anything else in your tank.

3. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Daily water changes work well for me when my Silver Dollars get fin issues like you mention. A good substrate vac and stress coat or NovAqua plus water conditioner, something with a healing aid is what I use for an established tank. Pristine water conditions.

4. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

She is right (like you would doubt a fish mentor) the root cause of all yuck is yucky water. I change water like a madwoman after I had a bought with finrot. My Flowerhorn's whole tail fell off!!

5. backflipfronflip Well Known Member Member

I second the water changes plan.

This is the least intrusive and stress free way to treat fin rot. It is also the best way to prevent it from occurring again in the future.

50% water changes 2-3 times a week for 2-3 weeks should clear that up pretty quickly.

Raise the temp of the tank slowly to around 84 and keep on top of those water changes and you will get rid of the Ich. I have done this very successfully in the past with no meds.

The raised water temp will also probably increase his metabolism and encourage him to eat more food.

You can kill 2 birds with one stone here and treat your tank without any medications.

Good luck.

6. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

I still think a good dose of PIMAFIX and MelaFIX would help.

7. Downward Dog Member Member

I've read all the posts I can find about the Mela/Pimafix problem and labyrinth fish. So, I will do the 3x/week water changes for a week and see if that improves my fish (I do weekly water changes religiously anyway). If my LFS doesn't have any better meds, I will then try Melafix at half dose to see if that boosts Blaze (my dwarf gourami). Thanks, I was looking for some voices of reason during my freakout:)
    Thanks, all!!!!

8. backflipfronflip Well Known Member Member

Maybe give it 2 weeks, as this will really give him enough time to get better, it will also allow the Ich to go through it's cycle and die off.

Try soaking his food in a little garlic juice as well, it helps to boost the immune system.

Meds are a very last resort IMHO. If you do use meds then a full dose is probably best, i'm not sure of the impacts of using a half dose. Kind of like if you take a half dose of antibiotics it can end up just making the bug stronger by not properly killing it. Not sure on the validity of that thought but it's worth looking into.

9. Downward Dog Member Member

Thanks, I'll try 2 weeks but he really does need to show some improvement, instead of getting worse in the next week. It isn't Ich, as far as I know.

I have LOTS of garlic so I'll try some garlic juice. Any downsides, anyone???

Good point about the Melafix, but I'm not sure it applies in this instance since it's tea tree oil, not an actual antibiotic.

Thanks again! :)