Printing Book?

Discussion in 'Our Other Interests' started by SilverStar, Apr 23, 2018.

1. SilverStarValued MemberMember

This probably isn't the best place to ask, but I figured I'd give it a shot. I have a book that I wrote with a friend, and I want to have it printed and bound to look like an actual book as a gift for her. However, I'm not sure what the best way to go about this is. I tried looking at a few different on demand printing websites, but haven't found one I liked. If possible, I would also like to refrain from publishing it for others to see online, and would rather just print of a small handful of books. So do any of you have any recommendations for printing websites? Or have any experience printing books?

2. Rylan

RylanWell Known MemberMember

Hi! I’m a graphic designer/writer so I’ve done this a few times. Out of all the companies I shopped Lulu.com and Blurb were easiest for me to work with. They were also on the more affordable side. I use Lulu the most. I found their interface easier to work with than blurb.

There’s no need to publish it publicly or anything. I’ve had four or five books novel type books printed through them for my personal use and they all came out great!

Depending on how large the book is it’s actually pretty easy to bind one by hand too.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  3. OP
    OP
    S

SilverStarValued MemberMember

Excellent! I’ll have to be sure to check out Lulu and Blurb. The book is around 400 pages, so I’m not sure how difficult it would be to bind it by hand, but I’ll give that a look too! How’s the quality of books printed through Lulu vs. Blurb?

4. Rylan

RylanWell Known MemberMember

Ah, something half that size would be better for binding by hand. I’d say Lulu is your best bet if it’s text only. Blurb is awesome for photo books/portfolio sorts of things. However their software is more detailed for laying out your book exactly the way you want it.

With Lulu you just need your text files alone and they give you the templates to plug it all into. Copy, paste, done. It’s pretty cut and dry.

Both companies produce very high quality books. It’ll definitely look like it came from a bookstore shelf. It’s really a matter of what’s easiest and most practical for you.

5. OP
    OP
    S

SilverStarValued MemberMember

Thank you for your help! Lulu looks like the site I’ll be using for my project. I can’t wait to see how it turns out!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice