prime

Discussion in 'Water Conditioners and Supplements' started by rawdawg1017, Jul 15, 2015.

1. rawdawg1017

rawdawg1017Valued MemberMember

So ive recently purchased prime as my water condition but im a little confused on how to use it since 5 ml treats 50 gallons and i do my water changes with a 5 gallon bucket. Any ideas?

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

I usually treat each bucket of water refill separately, so for you that might be 1/2 ml per bucket. You can also add the untreated water to the tank and then treat the entire tank, but I'm not a big fan of that method. I like only adding treated water.

3. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydroWell Known MemberMember

Treating the entire tank is a far better choice when using a python or other water changer to do your maintenance. That's what I do.

To give you an idea of how I measure small quantities of prime for my aquariums, I use a small pipette that can measure up to 3mL. In your case, you would only need to use 0.5mL. Having pipettes on hand really make measuring these things a lot easier.

4. cooperbh

cooperbhValued MemberMember

I use about a quarter capful of Prime per bucket during water changes, which equates to roughly a full cap for 7 gallons of water added to my 36 gallon tank. Is there any danger in exceeding the recommended dosage?

5. Jswin

JswinWell Known MemberMember

I always double dose mine anyways which would be 1ml for 5gal so that would be to the first thread in the cap(roughly)

6. Tolak

TolakWell Known MemberMember

Get an eyedropper, 20 drops = 1ml. 10 would be 1/2ml & so on.

7. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydroWell Known MemberMember

Eyedroppers and pipettes are a wonderful thing to have with fishkeeping ;D

8. Gekco

GekcoWell Known MemberMember

I use a syringe when I use prime, in your case as LiterallyHydro said use the syringe and measure out .5mL.

9. f2002

f2002Valued MemberMember

You can get one from Amazon for like $5. .

10. Jswin

JswinWell Known MemberMember

Yeah I usually use a syringe too

11. Tolak

TolakWell Known MemberMember

The kid's medicine droppers graduated in ml are a quick 1 handed deal for working with Prime.