Prime

Discussion in 'pH' started by cbowlincatfish, Jan 2, 2013.

1. cbowlincatfishValued MemberMember

I use prime and on the advise of others on this forum I am using tap water mixed with spring till I completely go to tap, I hear about amquel all the time mixed with a couple of other products. what are these products and are they better than prime

2. Tigress HillWell Known MemberMember

Prime is the best, no buts about it. It has the most benefits of any water conditioner and works the most efficiently.

3. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

Amquel can lead to pH crashes with prolonged use. Prime is a great conditioner. It is also one of the most cost effective because you use so little.

4. freak78Well Known MemberMember

PRIME. The only way to go.

5. baggy007Well Known MemberMember

PRIME is a fantastic product especially if you have a large tank as it is so concentrated so a bottle lasts much longer than other products saving you a lot of money

can i be cheeky and hijack this thread to ask a question? it is related to prime

6. jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

The best product for generic water conditioning from a cost standpoint is sodium thiosulfate by far. However on a newer tank Prime is good because of it's added ability to temporarily detoxify nitrogenous waste. They have an even more concentrated dry product called Safe, as well.

7. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

I use safe and love it. With 9 tanks I usually get 6 months out of it.

8. cbowlincatfishValued MemberMember

Thanks everyone

9. jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

Nice, was wondering if anyone has used it yet. I remember everyone was pumped about it being introduced but for some reason they don't stock it in the big box stores yet.

10. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

It has taken me a year to go through 2, 250 gram containers. They run about $8 online. 1/8th of a teaspoon treats 25 gallons. I've got a 125 and 3 55's so it comes in handy.

11. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Typically, the two Kordon products mixed are Nova+ and Amquel+
    Nova+ is the dechlorinator and heavy metal reduction
    Amquel+ is also a dechlorinator, but also detoxes nitrogenous waste

Specifically, prolonged use can lead to excess consumption of KH, which leads to pH instability/crashes.

I use Prime, it is one of the most cost effective and most complete all-in-one conditioners, 2 drops treats a gallon. Seachem have since improved the formula, and now have a premium line branded AquaVitro. The Alpha product is 50% more concentrated than Prime.

12. jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

Wonder what in Amquel would cause that to happen? The reducing agent? I know that prime overdosed in large quantities can cause a reduction in oxygen levels. Both prime and amquel+ look pretty similar apart from concentration, which is why i asked.

I use it sometimes when shipping fish but otherwise just use the Na2S2O3, $10 worth of the stuff will last most fishkeepers a lifetime.

13. QQQUUUUAADDDWell Known MemberMember

Is Aquavitro Alpha only for SW? My LFS sells it so I'm willing to try it.

14. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

No, alpha can be used in both FW and SW.

Alpha:  

They also do a premium FW Planted conditioner, called Premier

Premier:  

Interestingly, with Premier: "premier™ is a concentrated solution of potassium thiosulfate " ;)

15. baggy007Well Known MemberMember

some people say it is safe to overdose prime at x5 the recommend dose, can someone tell me why you would want to do this?

surely it would just be a waste?

thanks

16. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

17. baggy007Well Known MemberMember

i use prime during w/c and my ammonia is 0, and i use 3 cap fulls to treat the full tank so if i had any sort of ammonia readings does that mean the standard dosing would not adequate?

:confused:

18. JoannaBWell Known MemberMember

If you have ammonia or nitrite issues in your tank, but are super busy and do not have time to do a water change, you can get away with just adding prime without changing any water. Obviously this is not as good as a water change, but at least it will detox ammonia and nitrites for 24 hours. Now I could be wrong, but I think if one could not overdose prime, then it would not be recommended to do this because then you would need the water change to dilute the chemicals, whereas since overdosing is safe this just-add-prime is a viable alternative (though as mentioned, not as good as a real water change).

The other reason why it is good that one can overdose is for really small tanks like a 5 gallon betta tank for example, you would need to dose like 1/2 ml of prime, and that would be very hard to measure correctly, so in those cases it makes it much easier for people that one can safely overdose and does not have to get such a small dosage just right.

19. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

To quote Seachem "To detoxify nitrite in an emergency, up to 5 times normal dose may be used."  

And like JoannaB, it's great piece of mind knowing that overdosing won't cause a problem.

20. escapayWell Known MemberMember

I've also found that my tap water has 0.5ppm ammonia. If a tank has 0.25ppm of ammonia for whatever reason, it is better to just add Prime and not do a water change.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice