Prime to the rescue!

1. GoGreen Well Known Member Member

Wohoo! Went to the city yesterday and found some Prime! So as some of you may know I currently have a little Panda cory in quarantine, in a 1.5 gallon tank. Was just using cycle as a temp. bacteria during his isolation. Today I tested his water and the ammonia was .25!:eek: So I took out some water and added some fresh water treated with Prime, also removed his uneaten shrimp pellet with a turkey baster (new never seen soap)
    Question is can you overdose with Prime? The measurements are for larger volumes and I don't have a clean dropper to use, so I just mixed 1mm in 2 litres of water and added some of that.
    I haven't hurt my cute little fish, have I? Anything else I should do? I plan to test and water change later this evening if needed. Heard that I will get a false reading now. Does Prime work for just 24 hrs?:;fru

2. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I would dose correctly. Not sure about Canada, but in the US, you can go to a drugstore at the prescription window and ask for a baby medicine dropper, and they'll usually just give you one free of charge.

Prime will only detoxify ammonia and other toxins for 24 hours at a time. So the best course of action is daily partial water changes with prime until he's done with the quarantine.

For future quarantines, you can keep extra filter media in your filter and transfer it over to your q tank when it is set up. :)

3. GoGreen Well Known Member Member

Well, the drug store might be closed now, but I will see if I can get a dropper asap. Meanwhile, is it possible to overdose? When you say partial water change how much would that be for a 1.5 gallon tank without stressing my fish????

4. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I think you are fine if you change 1/2 or 1/4 gallon at a time. It's just one little cory. Just don't leave food in there for too long.

5. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Once you get the dropper, the dose is 2 drops per gallon (4L).