Prime smells funny

Aquaphobia

I looked it up and Prime is not supposed to go bad, but I just took a sniff of this bottle I've been using and it smells off. Not like "fresh" rotten eggs but like rotten rotten eggs, if that makes any sense. It doesn't smell like pure sulphur but like actual rotten eggs, if that makes any sense.

Is there any way to test if it's still good?

el337

LOL I had to really laugh at this one. The fact that you can distinguish "fresh" rotten egg smell vs the really really rotten egg smell.

I don't really know the answer but I'm guessing if it's not expired, it's still good?

bizaliz3

I have always noticed the prime has a bit of an odor. I will smell it on my fingers after cleaning tanks and stuff. When I pull out my python and clean 8 big tanks, I usually get some prime on my fingers in the process and I definitely notice the smell when I am done!!

And I am getting new bottles of prime all the time due to my high number of tanks and so many water changes. So prime never gets a chance to "go bad" in my house!!

Aquaphobia

Well, I'm using it anyway, it just doesn't smell the same.

Guess you needed to grow up on a farm and have the chance to smell really rotten eggs to know what rotten really smells like

DioAquatics

Ive noticed the same thing! I thought it was something rotting near or around my tank but when I sniffed the bottle I nearly died.

Aquaphobia

That's Prime's "normal" smell! This new smell is less strong but in some ways much worse.

DioAquatics

No matter what the smell, its terrible! haha. I used to do my WC with the old buckets of water method, so I would dose the water with prime in the bathroom while I was filling up the buckets, and every time someone else went in the bathroom, they blamed me for the smell! haha I had to explain to them it was the prime that smelled like that

Aquaphobia

Suuure it was...

DioAquatics

I swear it wasn't! haha

allllien

I've been using Prime for years, it's meant to smell bad (like sulphur), but today I was doing water changes and trying to work out where the smell of Chinese takeaway food was coming from -turns out it was the Prime!

There's only maybe an inch or 2 left in the bottle and I've been using this same bottle for maybe 4 years or so, it doesn't seem to affect the fish in anyway, just smells EXACTLY like Chinese takeaway. It also looked cloudy when I looked in the bottle (can't remember if it normally looks like that or not).

Does anyone know why this might have happened? Does it have an expiry period? I was under the impression it doesn't have a use by date or need to be used within however many months/years after opening?

It still seems to work, but then again we don't treat the water in my parents tub ponds and the fish are always fine, so hard to say really.

I'm just intrigued how something that basically smells like rotten eggs can transform into smelling like delicious Chinese food lol.

bitseriously

I use the tiny dropper bottles of prime, and I've always noticed that the smell is most pronounced when the bottles are almost empty. Also the smell is very obvious if I put drops in the bottom of an empty bucket, as opposed to one full of water. So I hereby hypothesize that the smell becomes more pronounced with increased contact to air, or higher surface area.
"Intrigued" is exactly the right word for the chinese food issue, for which I have no hypothesis.

allllien

I use the tiny dropper bottles of prime, and I've always noticed that the smell is most pronounced when the bottles are almost empty. Also the smell is very obvious if I put drops in the bottom of an empty bucket, as opposed to one full of water. So I hereby hypothesize that the smell becomes more pronounced with increased contact to air, or higher surface area.
"Intrigued" is exactly the right word for the chinese food issue, for which I have no hypothesis.
Yeah to be honest, I never notice the smell except for when I first remove the lid, but I use a syringe to dose it each time I refill a bucket (I never notice the smell normally when doing this), but today, that's when I was smelling 'chinese food' lol. I kept thinking maybe the guys in the unit next door were cooking something or ordered takeaway, but I'd smell it really strongly whenever I leaned over the bath (where the bucket was) when I was dosing. I even started wondering if it was me lol (you know how some foods can make you smell like the food), although I hadn't eaten any Chinese food recently. Then thought, 'hang on' and smelled the Prime directly out the bottle and it was definitely that haha. So whatever happened to it, I can say it smells much stronger than it normally would, just like how your car smells after bringing home Chinese takeaway..

Blueberrybetta

I just got prime yesterday and using it for the first time and it seems to have a very strong rotten smell to it and I just want to see if that normal before I put it in the tank . Other conditioners I've used barley had a smell, may see stupid but I would like to double check. It says it expires in 2023 by the way

Feohw

Yes its normal. Mine gets worse over time.

leftswerve

Smells horrible

TWiG87

Yup, smells like sulfur

Falena

Yup! As everyone else had already, said. It's pretty stinky stuff lol. Kinda eggy , dirty dishwater scent ...beautiful

KingJamal2

I just got prime yesterday and using it for the first time and it seems to have a very strong rotten smell to it and I just want to see if that normal before I put it in the tank . Other conditioners I've used barley had a smell, may see stupid but I would like to double check. It says it expires in 2023 by the way
It literally says on the bottle: “sulfur smell is normal”

Falena

It' ok tough! It only smells like that in the bottle, not in your new water or aquarium

Cody

Like others said it gets worse in time. I have a 10 gallon tank in my daughters room and I keep some of the supplies for her tank in her closet. And let’s just say my wife made me relocate the supplies after she opened the door one day and got to enjoy the sweet fragrance of Prime LOL.

GlennO

Yeah, my wife complains about the smell whenever I am doing water changes.

Deku-Cory

Yes, it's made from sulfur salts. Therefore, it smells like sulfur. I have to keep it in a ziploc bag. Smelly stuff.

mattgirl

To prevent the smell from wafting through the air I just keep a small clear bottle of it out for use. I clean the outside of the big bottle each time I refill the small bottle. The rest is kept in my refrigerator. (I know not every one has that option). I dispense it with a syringe instead of pouring it from the bottle with each use. I can imagine allowing any of it to dry on the outside of the bottle would cause it to stink up the room it is in.

To sum it up: Yep, It is normal for it to smell like that

Bob_STL

Glad to hear smell is OK - I had the same concern.
I started buying smaller & smaller bottles because I thought my Prime had "expired" and thus smelled.
Thank you for great info !

angelcraze

Lol, my LFS guy says when he's doing water changes and the customer gets a little too close, he gets bad looks like he passed gas hahaha! He says it happens all the time!

It was one of the reasons I thought Prime had to be effective for what it's advertised for or else if it was snake oil, it wouldn't smell like bodily gas!

Queasy

My seachem prime smells terrible, like rotten eggs. I never really smelt it much before, but I got some on my hands today and noticed how bad the stench was. Is this normal? I never keep my bottle open or anything like that, but could it have actually gone bad?

mimo91088

Its normal. Prime stinks. The smell gets stronger over time so that's probably why you're just noticing it.

Bettybrown922

Yep, that is definitely normal for it to smell like sulfur/eggs.

Unknown9182

My seachem prime smells terrible, like rotten eggs. I never really smelt it much before, but I got some on my hands today and noticed how bad the stench was. Is this normal? I never keep my bottle open or anything like that, but could it have actually gone bad?
Be sure not too mix any type of water conditioner that smells strongly like rotten eggs with any type of medicine that says too not use it with.

Megabeth

Yup thats normal the first time i opened and used mine I spent half and hour looking for the weird smell after cause I spilled a little on the glass of the fish tank lol

AggressiveAquatics

Yeah like others said it’s normal I’m not sure if it causes it to work better or not though lol

Megabeth

Yeah like others said it’s normal I’m not sure if it causes it to work better or not though lol
I think its just the stuff they use in it which makes it smell bad

AcornTheBetta

It ain't Prime if it ain't stink!

NoahLikesFish

Read the ingredients, it has sulfur in it

NBettas83

Every water conditioner I've used smells like some ancient pantry article. It's normal.

gms38

I recently got a bottle of Prime water conditioner off of Amazon. The seal on it was broken and it smells like rotten eggs! Is this normal?

Chanyi

Yes it is normal.

I would try and get an exchange if the seal was broken however.

N13

Yea, if it is used it smells bad, like rotten eggs or sulfur

Deku-Cory

Prime consists of Sulphur Salts, so it by nature is going to smell horrendous. To me it smells like bad garlic. But I agree, if the seal was broken you'll want to exchange it to be safe.

gms38

Thanks everyone for replying. I think I will exchange it definitely.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
aqua_man
Replies
Views
CindiL
Replies
Views
AvalancheDave
Replies