Prime...how to know when to get new bottle?

fishnewbie33
I had a bottle of prime (3.4 fl oz), when I used it last week it didn't smell as "potent" as it normally does (no date, code: 59019).

Since we had our last snowstorm and a new one is on the way for Saturday, I got the 8.5oz bottle from the LPS (one of 2 left, no smaller in stock)...code:64250...I got home and opened it...this one has almost no odor at all!

So...was the first bottle really going "bad"? Should I use the bottle I bought today instead? They won't have any more stock in until Monday at the earliest.

My original plan was to dump the water I had pre treated with bottle #1, refill and treat with the new bottle.

What should I do?

Fishy Friends
I never thought of it going bad....I use a lot of it with 3 large tanks so it never stays around long & it always smells bad☺ Does Prime have a website?

They addressed the Sulfur smell but not the lack of - you could ask.

They have a minI forum on there too - thanks for getting me searching☺

fishnewbie33
OK, I emailed them...we'll see what happens!
Thanks!

Anyone else???

mathas
According to Seachem staff, Prime shouldn't expire if stored correctly:

Prime is formulated to have a practical unlimited shelf life (i.e. practical within expected usage time frames, for example it's not likely someone would try to use a 20 year old bottle of Prime).
https://www.seachem.com/support/forums/showthread.php?t=307
Prime has no expiration date and will be good to use for the life of your product.
https://www.seachem.com/support/forums/showthread.php?t=2238
Prime has an indefinite shelf life and therefore does not expire.

Is it possible the bottle was stored with the cap loose/off? I don't know if that would affect the smell or the potency of the product, but as long as it was stored properly, I'd be inclined to use it.

Edmund
My own experience with an old and new bottle of prime, the old one has an eggy sulphur smell (which I find delicious because I love eggs, go figure), but the brand-spanking-new one has it with a potency that makes me think of rubber car tire for some reason, no longer foodlike.

I suspect leaving the lid off would affect the smell for sure, but I can't speak if it likewise would affect the product's quality.

fishnewbie33
It was stored at room temp, bottle tightly closed, in a plastic Ziploc bag.

I had read another post here that stated the person noticed a change in smell, used it anyway with dire consequences-can't remember what. That's what started me thinking about getting a new bottle. I know that the stock at the LPS moves quick.

Supposedly, the city water just has chlorine, not chlorimine, and its been sitting since Saturday so, theoretically it should still be OK.

And I thought all would have been OK after I got a new bottle

Rivieraneo
How to know when to get new bottle, two easy ways!

1. Is today's date after expiration date on bottle? If so, new bottle!

2. Inside of bottle mostly air and no fluid? If so, new bottle!

fishnewbie33
How to know when to get new bottle, two easy ways!

1. Is today's date after expiration date on bottle? If so, new bottle!

2. Inside of bottle mostly air and no fluid? If so, new bottle!

No expiration date on bottle...only some undecipherable code (listed in first post)
Lots of fluid left...just different smell to the original bottle and no smell to new bottle

Any ideas???

ricmcc
If you e-mail the Seachem help desk, they may well be able to decipher the code on it.
For what it is worth, I have used Prime for a number of years, and never encountered a bottle that had 'gone off'.------------rick

mathas
If you e-mail the Seachem help desk, they may well be able to decipher the code on it.
In the second link I posted last night, the Seachem rep addresses the 5-digit "code" on bottles of Prime and confirms it's just a lot number.

fishnewbie33
In the second link I posted last night, the Seachem rep addresses the 5-digit "code" on bottles of Prime and confirms it's just a lot number.

I called and left a voicemail this morning. I will have to check if there is a date code under the label when I get home. I emailed them last night, but can't check my email here

I still think my biggest concern is the odor (changed on the older bottle, almost nothing on the newer bottle). If I didn't notice the odor change, I wouldn't be concerned...

Ok, Just spoke to Tech Support @ Seachem. I gave her all the background info listed in my first post...

Prime does not have an expiration date
They probably wouldn't recommend using it after 10 years
Smell has no indication on if Prime is still good
Both bottles are still ok to use (the smell might get stronger after a few uses)
They've been getting a lot of questions about Prime and odor (or lack of) this week

Additionally,
I just got this email response from SeaChem...

"Thank you for your email. There has been no change to the formulation of Prime and the strength of the smell varies depending on how and when the batch was made. A newer batch will have less of a scent as the smell of the product gets stronger in the bottle with time. Your product is perfectly safe.

I hope this helps! Have a great day!"

Rivieraneo
Good to hear!

AbsolutTalent
I don't know why, but I thought it was suggested to give it a little shake before using. Maybe shake and see if it smells again?

fishnewbie33
Thanks for the idea, but I tried that early on hoping it would help...no difference.

So...I went back to the original bottle and all fish are acting normally...

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Rivieraneo
Replies
Views
jdhef
Replies
Views
Bluebone
Replies
Views