Prime and stability question

Discussion in 'Water Conditioners and Supplements' started by SilverMIssy, Aug 9, 2015.

1. SilverMIssyValued MemberMember

Hello,

I was wondering how long to dose prime and stability while the tank is cycling.

I've been using stability everyday for over a week now (bottle days only to use it for 7 days) and using prime everyday because my ammonia is high and I want to protect my fish. Do you think I should continue doing this until my tank has cycled or is that overkill? Or maybe keep using prime and stop the stability?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Yes keep using Prime but stop the Stability. You just need to wait for the bacteria to multiply and build a nice colony.

3. sparkles22Valued MemberMember

Stability and prime are an awesome pairing.....

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. TanksbyTimValued MemberMember

Use Prime to dechlorinate your water. If your water is free of chlorine, then you don't need to use Prime. Use Stability until your tank has finished cycling. You cannot add too much so don't worry about overkill. Good luck! :)

5. f2002Valued MemberMember

I think the answer partly depends on your bioload (are you close to 100% stock?), how often you are doing water changes, and the result of your ammonia tests.

If you are lightly stocked, do frequent water changes, and your water tests show no harmful levels of ammonia, then I would stop adding prime. I would continue using stability every time I do a water change just to be safe.

6. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

She only has a betta in her tank, I forgot if it's a 5g or 10g.

7. f2002Valued MemberMember

Ha ha ok. Then I take it back. In a 10g daily use of Prime to bring down ammonia might be overkill.

8. happygoluckyWell Known MemberMember

I disagree, Prime is what will protect her fish during any ammonia or nitrite spike that may happen(because it neutralizes them to an extent), so it is essential she uses it until her tank is cycled. Now if she is keeping the water free of ammonia and nitrites, then she should only use it when she gets a reading of it.

9. SilverMIssyValued MemberMember

I have a betta in a 10 gallon. I've been dosing prime every day because my ammonia is 1ppm and I don't want to do too many pwc. Currently, I'm doing 20% every 3 days so I'm giving bacteria a little time to attach itself to surface area.

Edit: last week I did 20% water changes for 3 days to try and bring down from 1ppm and lost all my nitrites and nitrates. Since then they have not even begun to show up in my tests again:( I literally restarted my cycle from the beginning doing daily pwc to try and bring down the ammonia. I will just continue dosing prime to protect the fish.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  10. FufuValued MemberMember

That's a shame

Keep dosing with prime and stability and try avoiding water changes for 2weeks.

The way I cycled my tank is I used stability and fluval biological enhancer for a week. Then I added some fish and prime.

I didn't do any water changes for 2 weeks and that worked for me.

Good luck and hope this helps

Fufu

11. SilverMIssyValued MemberMember

I don't know if I want to avoid doing water changes for 2 weeks when I already have a fish in and the ammonia is already high. Don't you think that would be cruel :(

12. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

It's not as you are protecting the fish with Prime. Too many water changes can actually keep your cycle going longer than it should. Like I told you before, unless the fish looks distressed, don't do anything...

13. FufuValued MemberMember

Agreed

Fight the urge

Fufu

14. SilverMIssyValued MemberMember

So it's been a week and a half with no water changes. All I did a few days ago was top up on water because my water line was an inch under the lid line. Since then I still have had no nitrites and my ammonia is staying stable but not decreasing.

I'm going to wait until the 2 weeks mark but if nothing changes at that time, should I continue with no water changes? Or by the 2 week mark, do a small 10% change?

15. nicole4434Well Known MemberMember

When you does your stability I found that its helpful to dose in the filter and not in the tank, that's were you want it anyway, to help lower the ammonia production produced by the fish, I would at this point lower the amount of feeding to 1 times a day or every other day, Betta's have very small stomaches and usually a very low bioload.

I would do a water change on alternating days and dose just prime on the days off, as you'll be adding prime to the new water going in, and when you dose the stability do it after the water change and in the filter, see if that helps, also make sure that your shaking the stability bottle so you know your adding the bacteria its not just a open and pour bottle, the bacteria sometimes settles on the bottom of the bottle

16. SilverMIssyValued MemberMember

I have decreased my feeding to once a day and it seemed to help keep the ammonia stable rather than increase. I also skip one day of the week and fast.

I haven't been putting the stability in the filter though so I'll try that.

I do not want to do alternating water changes because that's what stalled my cycling in the first place. I was having nitrites readings and then I did too man pwc in that week and now I'm struggling to get everything back on track.

Edit: also, everyone here is recommending me to avoid the often pwc so now I'm confused lol.

17. nicole4434Well Known MemberMember

What are your Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate readings at this time.

I never had a cycle stall do to too many pwc when I cycled my 46 gallon, my 10 gallon, with Stability
    Though the betta Tanks were done through seeded material so because of their bioload that could be an issue and until 2 years ago, I never cycled betta tanks I just did 50% water changes daity (it was a 5 gallon tank, so 2.5 gallons wasn't hard), though my cycle did stall when I was fighting 3ppm of nitrite, but I managed to get it back on track and keep it below 2ppm by doing daily changes until the bacteria caught up, but then like I said I was doseing the filter so maybe that's why I didn't have issues

18. SilverMIssyValued MemberMember

Ammonia .50 ppm
    Nitrites 0 ppm
    Nitrates roughly 2 ppm (it's not 0 but not 5ppm either, kinda in between)

It's a 10 gallon.

19. SilverMIssyValued MemberMember

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1440022999.662526.jpg

20. nicole4434Well Known MemberMember

I wouldn't worry about the 0 Nitrites, the fact that you have Nitrates and as long as those are not just coming from the tap water this shows me that your nitrifying bacteria grew quicker than the ammonia bacteira and is handling your bioload perfectly(the reason im saying this is that you cant have nitrates if your fishtank isn't processing nitrites), at your stage, I think its just a matter of neutralizing the ammonia Through prime, do your water change weekly and only for the first month when you do a water change add the stability in the filter after the water change after that you'll be good to go.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice