Prime and bacteria Question

1. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

I have been adding prime and bacteria when I do water changes on my newly cycled 40 gallon tank. I just read about TSS and it seems that the prime locks ammonia keeping the bacteria from feeding? So what do I do?

2. troyvsc Well Known Member Member

If you are cycled there I'd no reason to use TSS. If you are still cycling then you shouldn't be doing water changes.

To my understanding it locks up the Ammonia to a for. That is not harmfull to the fish. It does not get rid of it. The bacteria should be fine otherwise every tank would have mini cycles after water changes. Never heard of an issue between prime and TTS before.

3. bescher Member Member

Add the prime and then twenty four hours later replace the TSS with the instructions
    I don't exactly how much it according to how much you change

BUT
    Once your tank has fully cycled you don't need TSS anymore

Also I will take the amount I am going to change say ten gallons and fill up my homedepot buckets the night before add my prime and let the water adjust to room temp and let it oxygenate as well. Then I do my change the next day. But again if your fully cycled ( did the water test and everything is fine you don't need TSS at all.
    Maybe some stress relief depending on how much you stress the fish ( just kidding)

4. delta5 Well Known Member Member

24 hours after prime, you add the entire bottle of tss. Shake well before use.

5. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

I don't know exactly how it works, but supposedly Prime makes a small change to the ammonia molecules that makes them harmless to the fish, but still edible to the bacteria.

6. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member