Prime’s Fault?

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by LeahsTank, Jun 4, 2019.

1. LeahsTank

LeahsTankValued MemberMember

CCC0EAB6-11FB-461D-9D19-89AE4D65FA31.jpeg I get these spider web looking things flowing from the surfaces in my tank every time I do a water change. I didn’t use to get this and I think it may coincide with my switching to Prime as my conditioner. It goes away on its own and I think some of my fish eat it, it I just find it very unattractive. Has anyone else had this happen?

2. Repolie

RepolieWell Known MemberMember

I never had this issue occur to me before when I switched to Prime.

3. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

I've had that issue using stress coat, and it just randomly occurs sometimes.

4. ap4lmtree

ap4lmtreeWell Known MemberMember

I can't see your picture, but Id imagine it is some kind of algae.

5. OP
    OP
    LeahsTank

It’s definitely not algae. It starts “growing” as soon as I start adding new water and is only there for a couple of hours afterwards. Sometimes it even streams off of the fish’s fins causing them to flutter a bit to try and shake it off.

(Also, I think the site is having issues with images for everyone tonight. If you have the app, the images are showing fine with it.)

6. AvalancheDave

AvalancheDaveWell Known MemberMember

If it's coming off the fins it might be slime secretion perhaps due to some irritant.

Increase the dosage of Prime and see if it stops occurring.

7. ap4lmtree

Why would someone increase the dosage of prime? What is the rational behind it? It isn't a medication.

8. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

Because they may not be dosing enough to completely neutralize all the chlorine/chloramine in the tank and the excess slime coat is a reaction from the fish trying to protect themselves from an irritant. By upping the dosage at water changes, this may be prevented. A double dose of Prime won't hurt.

9. BillCNC

BillCNCValued MemberMember

Neither can I.

Do you know for sure if the fish are excreting the slime or is the floating slime just getting snagged on the fins?

Regards
    Bill

10. OP
    OP
    LeahsTank

It’s getting snagged on the fins. It is forming off the plants and really any surface in the tank. Again, it goes away within a couple of hours. It doesn’t appear to be harmful to the inhabitants. It is just unsightly and seems to be annoying to the fish.

11. AvalancheDave

AvalancheDaveWell Known MemberMember

If it's slime being excreted by the fish it's often in response to some kind of environmental irritant.

The recommended dose of Prime neutralizes ~3.2 mg of chloramine per mL. You often need a fair amount of excess for the reaction to proceed in a timely fashion. So if there was a dechlorinator that lends itself to being underdosed, it's Prime (and Safe).

12. ap4lmtree

When i used prime, I would dose with just a cupful for each 5 gallon bucket because that was the easiest way to dose it. That would treat 40 gallons. So, I suppose you are right if they use 1/4 a cupful or something less than half a cupful.

If the OP doesn't think the web string is algae, then Id imagine it is some kind of temporary bacteria bloom or it could be substrate being stirred up by new water. So, if it is the former, i would wonder if the OP has established bacteria in the tank already to prevent such a bloom.

13. OP
    OP
    LeahsTank

The tank is well established. Been running 5 months and is overstocked and my parameters as 0,0,5-20. I have to add Thrive to keep the nitrates up for the plants.

It definitely isn’t stirred up substrate. I use eco-complete which is black and what I’m seeing looks almost ghostly. Long flowing white strands.

14. OP
    OP
    LeahsTank

That looks similar, but what I get literally starts growing the moment fresh water starts to fill the tank. Within 20 minutes, the strands are 6-8 inches long. Then after a couple of hours, it has disappeared. This isn’t something I’m actually having a “problem” with. I’m mostly just curious.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2019
  15. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

I used to get the same thing in reef tanks, it was corals producing excess slime coat when the parameters changed.

16. OP
    OP
    LeahsTank

Interesting. Would freshwater plants do the same thing? It seems to start on the plants. Maybe my BB “bloom” when the parameters change???

Ok. I see it. Not what I have.

Until the images get fixed, let’s hope a Dropbox link will work...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zod73dqywukklvt/IMG_1557.JPG?dl=0

17. Skavatar

SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

18. TiltedTank

TiltedTankNew MemberMember

Just following the topic, but that looks exactly like what he showed in his pic. I wonder if the op uses well water? Which would be high in iron, or could be. I grew up on a farm and had well water sometimes the iron was so strong it would color the water.

19. OP
    OP
    LeahsTank

Looks the same, but it comes and goes within just a few hours without me doing anything.

Also, I may have found the culprit. I had used a couple of water “clarifiers” such as Seachem’s Pristine. I couldn’t tell much difference so I quit using it. My water change yesterday did not have the same effect. So now I’m thinking it is the clarifier causing it.