Primafix Toxic

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by JDUB968, Apr 18, 2017.

1. J

JDUB968 New Member Member

so I have 55 gal fresh water with a few fish that are showing signs of fungal infection, Reddening around the top of the gills onto the head and two gaurmis that look to have hole in the head. Lfs suggested primafix been dosing for 3 days and today the 4 th day my catfish was dead. Anyone know if primafix is toxic to cats ? He has showed signs of stress in the past ( darting around the tank spending a lot of time at the surface) but always looked healthy he had no visible bacterial or fungal signs.

2. AvalancheDave

AvalancheDave Well Known Member Member

Pimafix and Melafix have been known to kill fish, even cichlids. They also usually don't work, making them a poor choice in terms of efficacy/safety. But the ingredients are natural!

3. OP
    OP
    J

Thanks

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Hole in the head and red gills are often caused by poor water quality (high ammonia and/or nitrites).

Don't listen to your LFS - they don't seem reliable.

Can you list your water parameters? pH, temp, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates?

5. OP
    OP
    J

Yes you are correct on water quality my son moved out and I inherited his tank the water quality was horrible. I don't have a test kit yet it's on order however I started big water changes and vacuuming the gravel 1/2 the tank each time changing filter floss daily and add sea gel in a carbon reactor. Honestly there was no reason to test the water quality because it was horrible I finally got the water cleared up enough I only have to change filter floss every other day and now the water has cleared I can see the damage to the fish and started the anti fungal in hopes of getting the fish healed. Also got a bottle of Seachem stability on the way to add some nitrifying bacteria back to the tank after cleaning gravel.

6. KO_

KO_ Valued Member Member

This isn't all of the media is it?

7. OP
    OP
    J

Yes this is the only media in the HOB filter the tank has 1"-1 1/2" gravel which is the bio

8. KO_

KO_ Valued Member Member

You wont be able to start your cycle to get the water quality better if you keep replacing the filter media, this is where the bacteria lives. By replacing it daily you are basically starting from scratch every time. I would read up on the Nitrogen Cycle.

9. Sarcasm Included

Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

You want to keep the filter media and only clean it regularly as needed(Use old tank water while beginning, once established it is no longer necessary). The carbon should be cut out of the media cartridge when applying medication, it is saturated after a few months and no longer useful. You can buy sponge media to replace the floss and cut it to shape for under 10 dollars on ebay and it lasts for 10-20 years, unlike floss that falls apart after a couple months.
    BTW, Pimafix and Melafix are not toxic unless heavily overdosed, they just don't stop the disease that ends up killing the fish.

10. OP
    OP
    J

Test kit showed up last night tested water for ammonia =0 and nitrite = 0 the gravel is the most affective bio filter due to miles of surface area also the HOB filter has a very good coat of bio film in it which I don't mess with just for its ability to harbor nitrifying bacteria. However the thin cut sponge to replace the floss I've thought about using I have changed over yet due to the ease of the floss just throw it away and slap a new piece in no touching and rinsing. Thanks for the input

11. OP
    OP
    J

Update: just for those people in the future that treat with pimafix,
    I'm 75% sure the pimafix is what killed my Colombian shark catfish. However to be fair I cannot rule out the horrible water quality that the fish was in when I inherited this tank. But due to the fact this fish wasn't showing any signs of illness before the pimafix was added it does seem related.

12. Sarcasm Included

Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

Unless you are using an under gravel filter that is circulating the water through the gravel, it is not an effective bio-filter. Since you said you have a HOB filter I assume that all you are doing by not messing with it is collecting detritus to grow anaerobic bacteria colonies, not nitrifying. Just because you didn't see symptoms does not preclude an internal bacterial infection, this does not mean that Pimafix is toxic or killed your brackish water fish.

13. g

greenlady51 New Member Member

Make sure you are using the gravel vac correct, I just realized I wasn't,just poking it in and out and around tops of plants- to do correctly poke it down in subtrait and leave until water is clear in (head space)in was so black , I always had good test results but poor quality ( am having bacterial problems at the moment)

14. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

In my experience pimafix and melafix isn't any good for healing fish. Only thing I found it good for is killing my plants. Yep if you wanna get new plants dose your tank with that stuff and you'll need new plants soon.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice