Preventing Freeze Dried Food From Spoiling.

RachelNoel

Valued Member
Reaction score
I know that if moisture gets into the container it will definitely spoil. So if I hypothetically put about 3 weeks worth of freeze dried food in a small cosmetic jar, and put the rest in the freezer would it eliminate the risk, or at least reduce the risk of moisture getting into the container? Is the freezer evan necessary?

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi,

When in doubt, follow the instructions on the label. What do they suggest?

Having said that, I would suggest you only purchase food in quantities small enough to be used up in a reasonably short amount of time, rather than a prolonged period. If you do make a bulk purchase, put a small amount in an air tight jar and freeze the rest.

If the freeze dried food is bloodworms, consider switching to frozen. They are less likely to cause gastric distress for aquarium stock.

RachelNoel

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well it would be for a single betta, so it will always be too large of a quantity.
Plus I neither have the betta, or the food yet, so I don't know what the package says. I'm still on the fence about getting blood worms as I will also be getting daphnia, mysis shrimp, and pacific plankton. So I I'm not sure if blood worms are necessary.

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
One of the frozen food companies does a variety pack that might suit. Chip off a portion of the cube and thaw as you need it. It might simplify life, if it's just the one fish.

Tsin21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Freeze dried food are best stored in a tight lid container and placed in a cool dry place. To protect it from moisture, place some packets of silica gel.

RachelNoel

Valued Member
Reaction score
Tsin21 said:
Freeze dried food are best stored in a tight lid container and placed in a cool dry place. To protect it from moisture, place some packets of silica gel.
silica is a great idea, thank you!
maggie thecat said:
One of the frozen food companies does a variety pack that might suit. Chip off a portion of the cube and thaw as you need it. It might simplify life, if it's just the one fish.
unfortunately family dynamics keeps frozen food out of the question.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom