Preventing escapes?

hawaiifresh

Hi everyone! I haven't kept kuhlis before, so I want to be well set-up before purchasing. I've read that they're escape artists and need a "well-fitting" lid.

I'd been planning to make a simple lid out of acrylic that just lies on top of the aquarium, with a hinged door to drop food in. My light bar would create a few millimeter gap between the aquarium top and the lid...alternatively, I can set the lid on the inner lip of the aquarium top and set the light bar over the acrylic, if you guys think the gap might be an issue.

Question 1)
Can kuhlis push up an aquarium lid that isn't secured?

Question 2)
Can kuhlis squeeze through a few millimeter gap between the lid and the top of the tank, or through the hole in the lid my air tube will go through?

Question 3)
What else can I do to keep kuhlis from getting out?

Thanks!

Betta'sAnonymous

I would do my best to leave as few gaps as possible. Seen too many fish escape even through the tiny gap between filter and lid!

hawaiifresh

Betta'sAnonymous said:
I would do my best to leave as few gaps as possible. Seen too many fish escape even through the tiny gap between filter and lid!
Thanks for the advice -- It looks like it'll turn into a more complicated DIY, but it's better to do the work up front before I lose any fish!

Betta'sAnonymous

hawaiifresh said:
Thanks for the advice -- It looks like it'll turn into a more complicated DIY, but it's better to do the work up front before I lose any fish!
As an old boss used to tell me "if you think you don't have time to do it right the first time, what makes you think you will have time to do it right when you have to take the time to do it a 2nd time?"

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom