How Do I Preventative Tank Treatment

Yecats75

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Let me begin by saying I know the best option is to have a quarantine tank, but circumstances really don’t allow me that luxury. Going forward, I’m curious if there’s a preventative tank treatment I could use when adding livestock or plants to my tank? And if there is something available, do I dose according to package instructions, even if I see no signs of trouble yet? Thanks for sharing!

PS- I have a 65g freshwater planted community tank with tetras, guppies, killies, a betta and a snail. I recently lost a Hillstream Loach while treating the tank for ich. I plan to replace him at some point, so I do have the scaleless fish sensitivities to consider.

BlackNotebookTanks

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
For plants, maybe do a very short bleach dip. Other than that if you don't have the luxury of a quarantine tank, pick the healthiest looking fish you can, from the best seller you can find. Other aquarists are a good go to, as they've usually bred the fish themselves. I would stay away from dosing your tank ever time you add something. I try to stay away from medications as much as possible, as like antibiotics are for humans, they aren't good if used frequently or long term.

Iboughtmykidfish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
This is a tough one. I think most people on here, and myself included, wouldn't medicate unless absolutely necessary. Some fish can't handle meds very well, and there's a chance that they can build an immunity and the medication won't work if a time comes when you really need it. I know some big fish stores do treat preventativly, I believe with a wormer, and something else.

I know you said you can't afford a quatantine tank, but there are ways to dyI one for pretty cheap. Sponge filters are a couple bucks, and they hook up to an air pump, so if you already have a pump there's not much investment there. You can buy a 5 or 10 gallon tote from the grocery store pretty cheap as well. You don't have to have an actual tank. I see them quite cheap online as well. Honestly, you could set up a qt for as much money as you would prolly spend buying 2 or 3 meds you don't need.

Repolie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Paraguard is advertised as a preventative tank treatment and I'm sure it would work. However I would still agree that you shouldn't medicate unless absolutely needed.

OP
Yecats75

Yecats75

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks y’all that was kind of my expectation.... what about things like stresscoat, or pima/melafix? Not necessarily antibiotic...

Jimmie93

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Methylene Blue is good for this I treat all of my new fish before I put them in my aquariums. I wouldn't put this stuff directly into the tank as it's hard to remove but I use a bucket and let the fish soak in a water/Methylene Blue mix for a good minute or two and then add them to my tank.

This guy explains it well

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yecats75 said:
Thanks y’all that was kind of my expectation.... what about things like stresscoat, or pima/melafix? Not necessarily antibiotic...
Do not use Pima/melafix if you have any labyrinth fish. It is extremely harmful to them.

OP
Yecats75

Yecats75

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
JimmieD said:
Methylene Blue is good for this I treat all of my new fish before I put them in my aquariums. I wouldn't put this stuff directly into the tank as it's hard to remove but I use a bucket and let the fish soak in a water/Methylene Blue mix for a good minute or two and then add them to my tank.

This guy explains it well
Hm this is an interesting approach. I wish I’d seen this a few weeks ago. I feel kinda silly for not thinking of it myself actually :0/

Thunder_o_b said:
Do not use Pima/melafix if you have any labyrinth fish. It is extremely harmful to them.
Good to know! Thank you!

New Threads