Preventative Meds?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by dartzy, Jun 18, 2017.

1. dartzy

dartzyValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +74
    While scrolling through the various boards, I have read about a lot of folks using 'preventative medicines' on fish in qt. What is that all about? Reason I ask is, I just got 4 new white skirt tetras in my qt tank that will join my other 5 glow tetras in my established 20h in a few weeks. I believe I ended up with 3 females and one male in the new group. This will make a total of 9 for their school. 4 males, 5 females.

Should I be doing preventive medicines on those in qt? I haven't seen any signs of illness or disease as of yet. So far so good but it's only been a few days since they were brought home. If I should be, what would I use? Suggestions? Advise? I'd hate to introduce them to my glowies and have something happen....

2. BeanFish

BeanFishWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,698
    I have never used it and I am yet to have any disease wipe out my tanks. Fish co-exist with disease in the wild all the time and they havent gone extinct yet... It is like humans. Would you take penicilin shots just to be sure you are not sick? Fish need good water quality and good food, give them that and they will fight off disease. You can nuke your fish with all sorts of (expensive) meds over and over again but it wont matter if you give them bad water quality and bad food, they will still sucumb to every day disease. You can take all sorts of meds, if you are not healthy you will still get sick.

I have never preventatively treated fish for disease and the worst thing that has happened to me is minor ich in some inhabitants. I do however leave new fish in their separate tanks for a week or two so they acclimate to my water parameters and food.

3. OP
    OP
    dartzy

Ratings:
    +74
    I don't want to give the impression that I WANT to medicate my fish unnecessarily. I don't. Maybe I came across that way. I'm all for a more natural way of things but was really more curious because I had read it so often. Thought maybe I had missed something as I'm still a newbie to fish keeping. Thank you @BeanFish. 4]

4. BeanFish

BeanFishWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,698
    You are free to do what you want with the fish and medicating fish unnecessarily isnt fish torture or anything along those lines lol. I just find it impractical and scary. A lot of people half-dose and dont follow treatments correctly which just ends up creating med-resistant disease. If you want to really preventatively treat fish with meds you are gonna spend a lot of money and you will have to do it on every single fish that enters your fishroom. The problem is that you dont really need it. If you select your fish wisely, feed them a high quality food and give them clean water no disease should wipeout your tank.

5. stella1979

stella1979ModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +9,575
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    While I agree that it's scary and hope that it's never necessary to heavily medicate a fish again... I have recently been through a crash and I will explain why I will use preventative meds from here on. I'll try to sum up my story...

New 20g tank, cycled to 3ppm, well stocked in foods, achieved perfect parameters before going to the LFS... didn't QT these fish as they were the first in the tank.

Went to the best FW LFS near my home and bought 8 cardinal tetras and 4 guppies. One guppy looked a little fat but I didn't worry at first as they can be pigs. Parameters were well maintained, they had a good diet. One week later added 2 more guppies. Then fat guppy got really bloated, pineconed and died. Everybody else looked and acted fine.... for two weeks. Then they stopped eating and began dying. There were virtually no symptoms in other fish but they dropped one by one. This all occurred over the course of 5-6 weeks. Of the original 14 fish I now have one cardinal tetra left. He's seems to be a survivor because it's been a couple of weeks since the last death and prior to that I couldn't go 3 days without one. I realize my mistake in introducing that many fish at once, even though my filter and BB handled the bio-load just fine. I will not do that again.

I also don't have it in my budget to have fish shipped. I bought from a good place but still ended up with disease in my tank. During this experience I learned that fish are often treated for parasites and worms in stores and by breeders, meaning it is likely your fish have been exposed to treatment before you even got them. Preventative treatment is something I will now do with all new fish.

I have decided to use Methylene Blue (for for fungus and external parasites) as a 30 minute bath during acclimation. This stuff kills BB, never put it in your tank. I will also treat with Praziquantel (for flukes and worms) while in QT. Neither of these is considered to be a harsh medicine as far as I know. More experienced aquarists than I have recommended this plan and I believe it will give me peace of mind moving forward.

Everybody's experiences are going to be different. Just thought I would share my own in an effort to help you decide what's best for you.

6. James17

James17Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,766
    Experience:
    4 years
    No, I would not medicate fish that were not sick, that is just a wast of your money and may stress your fish.

7. AllieSten

AllieStenFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,672
    Experience:
    2 years
    I have had this discussion with some of the same people here on this post. What I decided to do with my qt tank is to use only 1 preventative med. I use Prazipro. It is a very gentle medication. It will help cure parasites, that are very very common with fish store fish. It will be fine with any inverts. If there is no sign of illness, 1 round will be just fine. It will at least give you peace of mind. It is very inexpensive. I have just started my 3rd round of quarantines this week. And the other 2 sets have done very very well. Prazipro didn't hurt them at all. They made it through quarantine just fine. Big tank is very healthy at the moment.

Now my 3rd set of qt's very obviously have worms. So I started the Prazipro right away. I will do 2 back to back treatments. Then decide if I think they need another round. Having the Prazi on hand was pretty great.

The second thing I do is a prophylactic ich treatment. But all I do is the heat treatment so no meds. Once the Prazipro is done, I turn the heat up slowly to 86. White skirts can definitely tolerate this temp. If you don't see any spots within 4 days, then you can slowly turn the temp back down. If you do see spots, then you can continue with the heat treatment for 2 weeks. No meds needed at all.

Both internal parasites and ich are so common with fish, I would prefer to prophylactically treat. And so far it has worked out just fine. I have 15 fish in the big tank. All happy and healthy. So I am very happy with how I decided to proceed.

Edit: oh and @dartzy I started with glo-tetras and switched to blackskirts. I have 9 total in my 30 gallon. 5 glo and 4 regular. Almost identical to how you are proceeding. 226] 12]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  8. OP
    OP
    dartzy

Ratings:
    +74
    Thank you everyone. Certainly something to think about. I will be ordering a bottle of Prazipro to have on hand for the future. Like I said it's only been a few days. Far as the fish being premedicated, I don't believe so. I work for one of the Big box pet stores and I haven't seen any premedication being done. But that doesn't mean I haven't seen my share of sick fish either. Most of the time, they arrive sick and undetected. I can say, at my store, we try to do what's best for the fish but we're not perfect..yet.
    Thanks again all. A very interesting topic for sure.

9. Discusluv

DiscusluvWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,789
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I will be getting some wild geophagus for my next tank. I will give them a metheleyne dip during acclimation as preventative (for parasites and flukes) and definitely treat with Prazi-pro to deworm (just like I do with my discus).