Preventative Medicines For Qt Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by AllieSten, Apr 9, 2017.

1. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

Wonder how you guys feel about medicating new fish as prophylactic treatment for potential fish diseases?

Setting up a quarantine tank this week, and have been collecting meds for a first aid kit. I am planning to start with 2 or 3 fish at a time, and quarantining for 3-4 weeks. Should I be deworming or anything like that while I am waiting to add them to the big tank? Or just let them hang out and get fat and happy while I wait?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  2. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

3. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I know quite a few friends that do that but me personally, I don't.

I DO QT my fish longer than probably most people - anywhere from 4-10 weeks depending on the fish ( if they come down with illness, etc )

My take on the meds is that they eventually expire - usually in 2 years or less and they can become quite $$$ if I "don't" use them. but thats a personal preference.
    In my 7 years of fish keeping, I have only experienced ICH 2 times ( last one was in October 2016 ) and a parasite of some sort early on in the hobby.

4. OP
    OP
    AllieSten

I am getting the smallest packages of meds I can for that exact reason. I don't have a good fish store close, so if something happened it would be days before I could get the meds I needed. That way I can at least get started with treating any illness that comes along, and go get more if I needed too. If I don't need to replace them for 2 years, I am ok with that. I keep a fully stocked human first aid kit, so might as well have a fish one too lol

Because I am upgrading to a bigger tank and adding close to 20 new fish, I would be more likely to need something in the next few months. (I know that this will be several months of quarantining and adding fish, btw. Going to add them 2-3 at a time to the existing 6)

5. Herkimur

Herkimur Well Known Member Member

Smart!
    I am doing just that!
    Had crayfish, fish, too small of an aquarium, no meds and NO dang effin clue what I was doing.

This time around I am prepared, like you're going to be

6. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I don't preventatively treat either, with one exception: I treated my dwarf puffers with antihelminthics even though they weren't displaying symptoms of a parasitic infection. Otherwise, I just QT for 3-4 weeks and treat only if needed.

7. gatekeeper

gatekeeper New Member Member

as im still new back into this hobby, I don't treat unless I see something that needs to be treated. qt is 4 weeks, haven't had to treat anything yet and my thought is the qt will be 4wks since last symtom was cured.

8. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Everyone┬┤s quarantine including what I did in the past is usually not good enough (not to say it in other more straightforward way). With a proper quarantine you should not have to do any preventive treatment, but lets face it, who wants to buy a big enough tank where the fish can live its whole life, decorate it so the fish feels comfortable in his home, put the tank in another room and leave the fish there for 2-3 months.
    The following page is the holy grail of quarantine, I like their final method of grabbing a fish of yours and stressing it out in the QT tank, some may say it is sadistic but with logic you can see it is the best option. Read it all, it will change your view on life.

Just ask yourself, if you feel and look fine why would you take meds? I know I would not take antibiotics just to make sure I dont have a cold lol. The same goes for fish, in my opinion all you are doing by using preventive treatments is one, spending money (not a big fan of that:rolleyes:) and two running the risk of creating a resistant strain of a certain disease.

The only "decent" quarantine I made (relatively to our common standards) was one when I left a batch of 8 tiger barbs hanging around for a month in a 12 galish plastic tub. I saw ich some weeks later in the tank, not a strong outbreak or anything but I did see 2-3 spots on some caudal fins so I really won nothing. I recently added 7 Corydoras Paleatus which had their fins nipped and were in bad conditions into my 10 gal, I knew the risks but I knew I had nothing better, I decided to move them into the 10 gal because it has plants, a substrate and some hiding places which would stress them way less than keeping them in a bare bottom 12 galish plastic tub and I knew that if I gave them clean water and my magical homemade food they would start to gain weight, regrow their fins and finally be ready to go with the Tiger devils.

Just my 2 cents on the subject, I am not saying quarantine is worthless, in fact I am looking forward to doing it as the article says to but right know I just dont have the resources to do it so I save my time.
    I think people are using meds too much in every aspect of life, give the fish clean water, good food and they will be fine. My Tiger Barbs probably have had ich for about two weeks now and they look healthier and way more active than any "healthy" fish with no signs of illness that I usually see at the petstores.
    Probably the only way our quarantine can be helpful is by getting the fish fat, healthy and in tune with our water parameters before they go with the other fish (as you said in your post). I find this extremely important if I add fish with my Tiger Barbs because during the first hour my Tiger Barbs will chase around all new fish, after that hour they will calm down and leave the fish alone, happened with my Mollys the first time I added them and now the Mollys swim around happily between the barbs with no problem.
    Putting those 7 Corydoras Paleatus in the state they were with the Tiger Barbs would probably have been a failure, so I am growing them out and making plants a little bit bushier in the 36 gal, not exactly quarantine, but kind of similar...
    Novel over:D:p:cool:.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  9. gatekeeper

beanfish you added the one reason I don't use the preventative treatment, I don't wont to create a superbug.

10. BeanFish

Yep, when I first considered quarantine I looked at that guy on Youtube that completely nukes their fish with meds when they get into his hands and to be honest I liked the idea, it would not be as expensive for me and It would be risk free...
    Then I dug deeper and found I can save that money and the risk of creating a superbug. I understand a little bit that the guy has to sell fish quickly and that waiting 2-3 months to quarantine them in the way I think is correct would probably mean his business crashing but we do not keep massive ammounts of fish so if we really want to correctly quarantine we can do it without our business or pocket crashing (the pocket may crash but not as much as it would with someone that has a fishstore.)

11. D

Discusluv Well Known Member Member

I always do preventative treatment of Prazi for flatworms and gill flukes while new discus in quarantine because both prevalent in species. Hasn't failed me yet.

12. BeanFish

Discus are another game in my opinion, I cant think of anyone that does not deworm those, heck some people here that keep Discus will do daily water changes for the first year so the discus supposedly grow bigger.
    But for almost all other fish, I think not using meds is best.

13. OP
    OP
    AllieSten

I was more thinking of deworming versus antibiotics. Like when you get a new kitten and you take them to get dewormed and flea medicine. That kind of preventative meds. I wouldn't do antibiotics without an infection. My previous profession was as a Registered Nurse in the ICU. So I have seen more "superbugs" than you can count. Anti-fungal is different than antibiotics. Worms are parasitic, which isn't treated with antibiotics either.

14. gatekeeper

you have a heads up on me on the superbugs, however having dealt with horses I have learned that parasite can become immune to dewormers

15. BeanFish

Antibiotics was a mistake on my part which shows my high levels of education:D, I was talking about meds in general.
    I would still not do it. If I see my fish are not gaining weight, growing and have weird poop I would probably consider treating for internal parasites.
    We all have parasites, they are part of nature, a healthy fish should not have any problems so if you deworm then to really mean something you must deworm every fish you have.
    It is up to you, there are some fish that are delicate and seem to benefit of preventive dewormings like Discus but most fish should not need deworming. I would personally try to do a proper quarantine (or what I believe to be a proper quarantine) or just leave them for 1-2 weeks in a separate tank to just "get them back on their feet" and move them with the other fish.
    But again, thats me, not you haha.

16. OP
    OP
    AllieSten

Good to know. I only dealt with humans, and rarely do we need a dewormer for them lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice