Prevent Fish From Breeding?

Poporony

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
HI everyone. I'm wanting to put a few (maybe 4?) Sparkling Gouramis in a 6 gallon planted tank I have within the next few weeks (it's fully cycled and has been set up for a while now). There aren't any stores in my area that sell them so i'm likely going to have to buy them online. I would ideally get all one gender, but I know they're hard to sex. So i'm wondering if people have any tips on what I can do to stop them from breeding if I wind up with males and females? Or any humane ways to dispose of fertilized eggs (if that's possible)? Or if I definitely have to be fully prepared to house and care for fry when considering getting Sparkling Gouramis.

Thanks to anybody that drops by to give me some tips

Iboughtmykidfish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello. You want to put 4 gouramI in a 6 gallon? Yes, they're small, but the recommended tank size for 1, is minimum, 5 gallons. 4 in a 6 gallon would be overstocked, imo. But to answer your question, you can't really prevent fish from breeding. In community tanks most eggs or fry will get eaten. You can remove eggs and throw them away, as well.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
HI FishLore! Sparkling Gouramis are great little fish. The only real way to prevent breeding is obviously not to mix males and females but you already know that.
If they breed you could destroy the eggs, as much as I hate to say that.

Iboughtmykidfish said:
Hello. You want to put 4 gouramI in a 6 gallon? They won't live long enough to breed, unfortunately. That's waaaayyyy overstocked.
Sparklers are small, shy pokey little fish. Imo and experience four would be fine in 6 gallons as long as plants are provided so they feel secure.
Sounds like the OP's tank is set up for them.

Edited for typo

leftswerve

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
IME and IMO that is too many unless you are a very experienced aquariust and very meticulous water changer. On this beginner section of the forum, that kind of opinion will get some fish killed.

Iboughtmykidfish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Lucy said:
HI FishLore! Sparkling Gouramis are great little fish. The only real way to prevent breeding is obviously not to mix males and females but you already know that.
If they breed you coud disstoy the eggs, as much as I hate to say that.

Sparklers are small, shy pokey little fish. Imo and experience four would be fine in 6 gallons as long as plants are provided so they feel secure.
Sounds like the OP's tank is set up for them.
I know they're quite small, but on fishlore, and other sites, the recommended size for more than one is still 10 gallons or larger. I feel like OP would have some problems if they do happen to breed, especially since they tend to get aggressive during.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'll have to respectfully disagree and leave it at that.
Mild aggression during breeding could be a concern. I had to separate mine when they paired off.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Poporony for kicks and curiosity what's the foot print of the tank?
To give credit to the other posters if the tank is cylinder shape I think they could be correct.
If it's more like a bookshelf tank (which has the footprint of a 10g), you'll be fine.

I'm sorry I didn't think of tank shape before posting.

SeanyBaggs123

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Whilst scrolling through the main page, I totally thought Lucy avatar was an answer to this question! Haha

OP
Poporony

Poporony

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Lucy said:
Poporony for kicks and curiosity what's the foot print of the tank?
To give credit to the other posters if the tank is cylinder shape I think they could be correct.
If it's more like a bookshelf tank (which has the footprint of a 10g), you'll be fine.

I'm sorry I didn't think of tank shape before posting.
Thankyou for asking! It's just a nice little rectangle. 40cmx25cmx25cm.

Iboughtmykidfish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Poporony said:
Thankyou for asking! It's just a nice little rectangle. 40cmx25cmx25cm.
That's a better footprint than the standard size I was picturing. I'd say just be careful of aggression if they happen to breed, and maybe have a backup tank on hand, just in case.

A lot of times breeders ship the fish pretty young, so they're small and hard to sex. But depending on who you buy from, they may be good at sexing the younger ones. Maybe send a message and ask if they could at least try to send you all the same sex? It can't hurt, at least. Good luck!

Coptapia

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Keeping them ‘cool’ i.e. not too high up their prefered temperature range, will help to prevent breeding. The given temperatures for a lot of fish tend to be breeding season temperatures, which is why a lot of them can breed all year round.

New Threads