Prevent breeding vs. keeping guppies happy

Sequoia13

Reaction score
I recently got the tropical fish bug and am currently cycling my 10 gallon tank.
I want to have a couple of male guppies (for the obvious reasons) but realize the 2:1 ratio makes them the happiest.

I really don't want to have a tank full of growing baby fish since I'm only dealing with 10 gallon here but don't want the males to get all agro either.

Perhaps there is a baby guppy predator fish to keep the balance if the parents don't?

Wolfgang8810

Well Known
Reaction score
the 2 fem,ales to 1 male is so the males don't bully the female. if you keep strictly males you shouldnt have a problem.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
An all-male tank would probably be fine, but don't just get 2 or 3 males in that case because in a small group one will probably get picked on. If the tank is very sparsely decorated then most of the fry would get eaten, though. (Livebearers don't seem to mind fairly open tanks like some other fish do.)

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
yea, 2 will just result in a 1-sided pecking order.. 3 can work, it's working with 3 males we have in a tank now, but more can be better and you should see the pecking order develop pretty quickly.

New Threads