Pretty sure my betta has dropsy :(

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Lindsey Stallings, Jun 10, 2016.

1. L

Lindsey Stallings New Member Member

Hi guys!

I went on my honeymoon this past week and came home to find my betta with a super swollen stomach. My friend had been staying in the house and was feeding him the same way I do. I don't know what went wrong. There were seven emerald eye rasboras in the same tank - all of them seem to be fine. They were all in a 10 gallon tank. I read online that I should quarantine the betta. So I moved him into my 3 gallon tank that I previously had empty. I used some of the filter materials from the 10 gallon in the 3 gallon hoping that will cycle the 3 gallon. But I'm planning to change the water daily anyway. I also read to dose the tank with aquarium salt. I've done this to both tanks. I also put api general cure into the 3 gallon. Anything else I can do to help him?

Thanks in advance!

2. tokiodreamy

tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

Have you tried a shelled pea? He may be constipated.

3. c

cheese Valued Member Member

is the (10 gal) tank cycled? what are the parameters? temp?
    can you get a picture of your betta?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. OP
    OP
    L

The 10g's tank parameters are pH: 7.6, Ammonia: 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates (high): about 40.

The 10g tank is cycled

The 10g's temperature is 78.

5. OP
    OP
    L

Thinking about it more, I think it's constipation. The nitrates are really high (they are normally around 10). I think my friend just overfed him. So I gave him an epson salt bath and I'm fasting him for 2-3 days. Any other tips?

6. tokiodreamy

tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

A shelled pea. It will help his constipation if he has it

7. c

cheese Valued Member Member

yes, I'd do what tokiodreamy said, feed him some shelled pea, and then fast for 2-3 days and see how he looks :)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice