Pretty Sure Im Killing It

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Figured id dabble with live plants, figured i can get duck weed free and people complain they cant get rid of it surely i cant kill it.

Its been slowly disappearing and im noticing the roots are shorter and thinning out. Some is yellowing too.

How does one kill duck weed??? I seriously lack a green thumb. My next day off i wanted to forage up some hornwort but ill probably kill that too.

Last photo is when i first brought it home. Nice and full roots.

Other photos are from last night.

Attachments

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
How much surface agitation or circulation is there? Duckweed likes stagnant water and lots of ferts as well.
I got a small bubble area from a sponge filter and the HOB filter on lowest speed because the fish i have dislike currents. I have a straw barrier around the outtake for the filter so the duck weed doesnt clog that up.

The one tank its in also has leaf litter, assuming those would help with nutrients for the plants, plus snails and snails poop a lot... but it still seems to be dying.

Would i still kill hornwort too?

Attachments

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
What type of fish do you have? Many fish species enjoy snacking on it, such as larger gouramis, tetras, carp and barbs.
in the blackwater style tank i have a dwarf gourami (the only top swimmer and he loves the duck weed), cories, java and kuhli loaches. In the other one i got a betta, two mollies, and 3 tetras and they mostly ignore it in that tank. Their tank has been mostly untouched, though it never had as much duck weed as the other tank.

Also a 5 gal with some with a single betta and sponge filter only, and then a small bin with pest snails with some and even that one isnt doing so great... yellowing in some leaves. Its got no filter, water changes daily lol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom