Pretty Sure I Have Detritus Worms. Please Help! 55 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by TheDojoMojo, Jun 11, 2019.

1. TheDojoMojo

TheDojoMojoNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +6
    Experience:
    4 years
    Hey guys so I recently (about a week ago) sort of re-modeled my 55g tank and I purchased some live plants, a few pieces of driftwood, and rocks. Yesterday I was performing a water and carbon change and after I finished I noticed hundreds of tiny, threadlike worms wriggling around everywhere in the water. I did some research and it pretty much certainly matches up to detritus worms. Could anybody help explain to me how I could know for certain they are detritus worms, why they are here in my tank, and what I can do to get rid of them? Any help is appreciated thank you!

2. Fisker

FiskerValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +255
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    No clue on how to definitely ID them, but they're most likely in your tank due to excess detritus and waste. They exist in the majority of our tanks, but usually in numbers that are small enough to not be noticeable. More than likely, there was quite a few on the live plants, and when you moved stuff around a lot of waste was stirred up, leading to an influx of worms.

There's nothing you can do to get rid of them except for sucking out any waste you can with water changes. They aren't at all harmful, and are actually really good at helping to break down waste and basically serving as a stepping stone between your tank inhabitants and your beneficial bacteria. I'd just step up tank husbandry for a bit, and they'll die back in time.

3. OP
    OP
    TheDojoMojo

TheDojoMojoNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +6
    Experience:
    4 years
    Thanks for the advice that is very helpful