Pretty Blue Betta!

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by DazzlingMer, Dec 14, 2012.

1. D

DazzlingMer New Member Member

Hi all! I've finally found a nice forum to talk about bettas!

I go to the School of Environmental Studies in MN, and decided I would foray back into fishiness by purchasing a betta! He is from PetSmart, which I would not reccomend to anyone AT ALL. The water was disgusting and they all looked so sad. I literally replaced most of the water in the first day for him... His colors have way improved, there is a slight red tinge on the edge of his fins and his head is turning red almost.

I named him Epsilon, because I could come up with no better name and he is a beta fish after all, right?;)

epsilon2.jpg smallepsilon1.jpg

He is currently in a .5 gallon tank that is refreshed 100% about once a week and 10-15% every other day. He has a silk plant and a small heater since the school is always pretty cold. He loves to hang behind it or sulk in his plant whenever I have the cover off for light and a boxelder bug falls in. (opps, better clean that up!) I usually give him my mirror for half the week, and he loves to spin circles around his tank.

Yeah, I know the tank is VERY small, but it is the best I can do for the space and I am eyeing up a nice   to house him over the break and hopefully the rest of the year!

2. llfish

llfish Well Known Member Member

I would recommend you eyeing up a 5g instead ;) you can get them the same price as for a 2.5 g mini bow..trust me I bought the 2.5 gallon, after a month I bought a 5 gallon because they need the space.

3. petlorilea

petlorilea Valued Member Member

LOVE the name! I would recommend that until you get your mini bow (go for a 5 rather than a 2.5. Its not that much more $ but is optimal for a male betta), take out the gravel and float the plant. And do a 100% water change every other day. Use a turkey baster to siphon poo when you don't change the water...it will help. Good luck!

4. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to FishLore! I agree, just leave the tank empty for now. As others have said its not nearly enough space, and it'll be easier to keep clean without gravel. I also second getting a five gallon :) I've had many bettas and would never keep them in anything smaller than that.

5. m

mosaicguppy Well Known Member Member

Beautiful betta! I certainly haven't seen a veiltail like that before. I agree that a bigger tank will be better for him, bettas can actually be very active if given the space and the waste doesn't build up as easily. :)

6. oscarsbud

oscarsbud Well Known Member Member

Hello and Welcome! He is a beautiful fish. Love the name. I have 2 bettas. One is in a 10 gallon tank and the other is in a 5. You will find him to be a most personable little guy - almost like having an underwater puppy :).

7. Magoo

Magoo Fishlore VIP Member

Hello and welcome to fishlore :) there are allot of betta parents on here I too am one I have two at the moment both are little monkey fish and very entertaining to look after one is in a 5 gallon and one in a 6 gallon and both are heavily planted with snail tankmates to keep them company ;)

Your little guy is beautiful and looking forward to updates when he is upgraded :) a bigger tank will let him show you what his personality is like and you will have so much fun getting to know him.

You have joined the best forum everyone here is lovely and always happy to help if you need us and I think his name is excellent too

8. OP
    OP
    D

Thanks all! I'll definitely look at a bigger tank now.

9. Magoo

Magoo Fishlore VIP Member

Excellent news :) please keep us posted :)

10. OP
    OP
    D

Bad news :( The poor guy developed swim bladder problems right before I could get him into his new tank. I did my best by changing his water 100% every day and giving him a bit of aquarium salt. I suspect there may have been some fin rot or something of the sort going on as well. He was a fighter! I'll miss the guy and his bubble nests...

Anyways, I wasn't about to give up betta's, and my sister and I purchased two bettas, both in 2.5 gallons. Pictures up as soon as I can!

Jaws is a blue and white Plakat with red on his lower fins. He loves to stalk underneath his plants and then flare at me when I set stuff on my desk. :) He just started a bubble nest in the corner of his tank!

Eugene is a golden Double Tail whom we have nicknamed "trout." He really is nonchalant and uncaring, hanging out underneath is plants and looking like a little piranha.

Thank you for your help! I'm looking forward to continuing this hobby!

11. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

So sorry you lost your betta. :( Unfortunately it was likely due to poor water quality from being in such a small tank. Also unfortunately, you'll possibly run into similar problems with your new bettas too, because the tanks are too small. I strongly suggest getting larger tanks. You could also get a 10 gallon tank and divide it in half, instead of getting two five gallons.

12. guzophela

guzophela Valued Member Member

I'm also sorry to hear about your loss. :(

As far as the 2.5s though, BE CAREFUL! Make sure to keep up with water changes! I had 3 bettas each in their own 2.5s and they developed fin rot very quickly. I upgraded their tanks to divided 10Gs, something I'd definitely recommend if the school allows it, or you could go with 5Gs if you decide to upgrade.

It's not that the minibows aren't good tanks, but my bettas definitely appreciate the extra space. Another tip about the 2.5s! Don't use the filters, or if you do make sure to get a buffer for the intake (I believe you can get them at PetSmart for relatively cheap). One of my guys developed fin rot after a good portion of his tail was ripped off from the filter in those tanks. >_>
    You'll have to do water changes more frequently, but it's worth not having to worry if you can't buffer the intake.

13. CoryCats

CoryCats Well Known Member Member

Sorry to hear that about your first betta, but just like others said male bettas need 5 gallons each. You could look on craigslist for a 10 gallon and buy a divider, but the bettas also need a heater and filter. Depending on your bettas personalities they may need two seperate 5 gallon tanks as seeing another betta can be too stressful for some bettas.

14. OP
    OP
    D

Both tanks have filters and heaters, so that is covered!

I must agree, it was a mistake to keep Epsilon in such a small tank. The guy deserved better and I feel bad because of that. Unfortunately the best I can do is 2.5 right now, because I don't have a lot of space. Jaws and Eugene seem to be settling in fine, but I hope I can move them up in the future!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice