Pretty And Peaceful Fish To Share Space With Amano Shrimp? 10 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by 1RainbowBetta, Apr 21, 2018.

1. 1RainbowBettaNew MemberMember

I had one betta with 2 amano shrimp in my 10 gallon but recently removed the betta (gave him 5 gallons to himself) when he started bullying my shrimp. He was okay with them for many months, but I think he started going after them when they would grab a piece of food and he wanted it.

I'd like to get some pretty fish that won't bully or attack the shrimp. I saw suggestions for tetras, endlers, guppies, and a few others. I'd like something pretty and fun or interesting to watch. My 11 year old also likes watching my shrimp.
    What type of fish do you think would do well in a 10 gallon with a couple amano shrimp? Could I also add a cherry shrimp or would the amanos pick on him?
    And how many of the fish you suggest could I add without crashing my cycle?

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Cherry shrimp would be great to add! The Amanos shouldn't bother them.

I would add fish in batches so as to not cause your tank to go into a mini cycle.

I keep Boraras maculatus with my Amanos - love them! Active and pretty.

3. OP
    OP

1RainbowBettaNew MemberMember

Thanks for your suggestion. I searched for pictures of Boraras maculatus and you're right, they are pretty. Assuming I can find some (my Petco isn't always well stocked), how many should I add at a time, and how many total for a 10 gallon?

4. TexasDomer

10-12 should be fine :) If your tank is still cycled, you could add them in batches of 6, a week apart.

5. Ms rose

Ms roseWell Known MemberMember

Fancy guppys maybe?

6. OP
    OP

1RainbowBettaNew MemberMember

Well, my Petco did not have Boraras maculatus, and they can't even order some for me. I checked online but the shipping would be about $30 and I didn't want to spend that much. I did get a couple 24K gold white clouds to start with. That's all they really had for small, peaceful fish. Yesterday I checked again and ended up getting another 2 gold white clouds and 4 harlequin rasboras. So I currently have 4 each gold white clouds and harlequin rasboras, along with my 2 amano shrimp. I HOPE the gal I spoke to knew what she was talking about (she seemed to) and that number is okay. What do you think?

7. JoeCamaro

JoeCamaroWell Known MemberMember

Amano shrimp are good sized shrimp. I have 2 with fish as "big" as Dwarf Gourami and Boliviam Ram and they don't bother the shrimp. The Amano actually steal food from them, lol.
    I'd say any peaceful community fish should be good.

8. TexasDomer

A 10 gal is too small for the active harlequins and white clouds. Both need to be in larger groups, and this tank is too small. I'd return them. I wouldn't take stocking advice from pet store employees.

Can you get something like guppies or endlers? They won't bother Amanos.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice