Pretreated water tests

MikeNTX

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have 50 gallons of water that I treated last night so I could do a big water change today. Its been in a cleaned out rubbermaid trash can(bought thursday, never cleaned with chemicals, just hot water and a rag). Treated water has had the heater running as well as a pump. I just tested the treated water and found .50ppm of ammonia. For some reason Ive never tested my treated water on its own. Only after Ive added it to the tank the next day.

Can I just add more water conditioner and bring it down so I can add to the tank? Scared about starting a mini cycle and Ive already sucked 20 gallons....Hind sight is 20\20

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What water conditioner are you using? I have 1ppm of ammonia in my tap water and just switched to Prime. If your tank is cycled, the biological filter should process that ammonia in about 24. So by using the Prime to detoxify the ammonia, you give your fish a break until the bacteria take care of it.

-Lisa

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Mike,

I see that your tank is well established (according to your profile info), chances are your good bacteria will take care of it within 24 hours. Personally I would go ahead and treat it again before you add it. (If you are using a conditioner like Prime or Amquel +) If it's something else I suggest you go by the directions on the bottle.

I know Prime states that in an emergency you can use up to 5 x the normal dose. I think Amquel + states not to dose more than once in a 24 hour period.

Ken

MikeNTX

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It removes chlorine, chloramine & ammonia. Never had any issues at all with ammonia in my tank. My main concern is takin almost half of my water out and putting in new water with ammonia, dont want to start a cycle. Its been up 8 months.

MikeNTX

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Its actually from Dallas North Aquarium, been using it since I set it up back in 9\09, never been an issue. I had the smoker fired up outside with a lot going on while I was treating. Maybe I missed a dose.

Bottle says 'dosage can be increased or repeated as needed without toxic effectos to plans animals including reefs.'

So you think if I dump in a bit more it should be alright and lower ammonia?

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
do you have ammonia in your tap water? thats too high IMO to add to a cycled tank with no ammonia....I think adding that will shock the fish...what test kit are you using? and why do you let it sit to treat? just curious as most conditioners work immediately and there is no need to do that....if you have a huge ph difference from your tank to your tap, you can just do smaller water changes to compensate
'
EDIT" also some conditioners will give you a false reading on your test kit if you tested right after adding it

MikeNTX

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
do you have ammonia in your tap water? thats too high IMO to add to a cycled tank with no ammonia....I think adding that will shock the fish...what test kit are you using? and why do you let it sit to treat? just curious as most conditioners work immediately and there is no need to do that....if you have a huge ph difference from your tank to your tap, you can just do smaller water changes to compensate
'
EDIT" also some conditioners will give you a false reading on your test kit if you tested right after adding it
Using API test kit. Water straight from the tap is 1.0. I sold 6 of my larger fish and decreased my bio-load. Nitrates have been bouncing between 40-60ppm, so I wanted to do a 40 gallon water change to get em out. Ive got six 5 gallon jugs and am tired of luggin em around my living room so I went and bought a plastic rubber maid 50 gallon trash can, cleaned it without any chemicals, just boiling water from the stove. Treated the water, put in a heater as well a pump and let it sit over night since water from the faucet outside is like 68 degrees.

Added 1\2 teaspoon of conditioner then went to a craw fish boil, just checked it again .25. Think I am just gonna dump it and start over...Im always paranoid.

MikeNTX

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Dumped, started cleaning out...found a freakin june bug in the bottom! Wonder if that was the cause of ammonia? I used a Peel off pencil that is water proof to mark around the top of the container as a 40 gallon mark. I saw small flakes of it floating around the water...that wouldnt do anything would it?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom