Presoaked Driftwood

CoryCats

I bought some MopanI driftwood that I really like, one piece I can fit in a pot and boil, but the other piece is too long, so I have been putting them both in a 5 gallon bucket and soaking in water that I have brought to a boil on the stove. I did this for 3 or 4 days changing the water at least 3 or 4 times a day and it was always so dark I couldn't see the wood in the bucket and I read that this may need to be done for months. I know that tannins are not harmful to fish, but I personally do not like the look of them.
Is there a place to buy presoaked driftwood?
I have read that MopanI is a wood that has a lot of tannins, are there any woods that wouldn't take so long to get the tannins out of?

iRun

I haven't heard of presoaked, but I think you are on to marketing gold with that idea! Carbon in your filter will knock out tanins.

endlersallday

Where we are we can buy pre soaked driftwood at the local fish shop. If you can find it, it's usually sold by the pound with prices varying on type of wood. In fact, we just bought a nice piece for our bamboo shrimp and pleco for our 40b.

Call around! There might just be someplace close by that has it!

CoryCats

Where we are we can buy pre soaked driftwood at the local fish shop. If you can find it, it's usually sold by the pound with prices varying on type of wood. In fact, we just bought a nice piece for our bamboo shrimp and pleco for our 40b.

Call around! There might just be someplace close by that has it!

I'll ask around. . . I usually end up stopping by at least one LFS at least once a week lol

CatfishJack

Next time you refill the bucket just use water straight from the hose or room temp water and let it sit for 24 hours. I think the heat is making it leach more than normal.

Doing this should show you the color it'll make the water in the tank.

As mentioned above carbon in your filter will remove the color.

Lunas

I did super hot water for 5 hours on mine it made tea about 8 sinks of water worth then suddenly it slowed way down took much longer to color the water then I stuck it in my tank it takes days to color it now and my carbon keeps the coloring to a minimum.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
ryl33a
Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views
Jonmdj
Replies