Preparing to stock tank- neon tetras vs. cherry barbs

KristinAnn

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have just completed the cycle on my 20 gallon, and will be stocking soon. It has double filtration (20 gallon rated HOB, 20 gallon rated sponge filter), and the live plants are coming in soon (will plant before stocking). I will do 25% weekly water changes. The back will be moderately planted with hornwort and water sprite, with a dwarf sword in a front corner which I hope will spread a bit. I have a driftwood on which I will plant an anubias nana, and I hope to carpet most of the front with HC baby dwarf tears.
I know I plan on having around 6 danios and 4 oto cats, but was also interested in getting a small school of either neon teras or cherry barbs (according to aqadvisor this is around 85% stocked with 6 danios, 4 otos, and 6 neons, but I won't push it past that). Though I have aquarium experience, I have never had either of these fish. I'm wondering about their "personalities".
Is one more active than the other? More playful (I love the playfulness of the danios)? More aggressive? More interesting to watch? Better suited to go with danios and otos? Easier to breed? I have done some research on each, but would like to hear personal experience and stories. Also, how worried should I be about Neon Tetra Disease?
Thanks.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think the barbs would be more interesting. I would do both though, were it my tank

You don't need to worry about neon tetra disease. It's something that is quite rare. A quarantine tank will make sure you are safe, though. As far as I know, an infected fish must be added to the tank to give it to the others, so it's not like ich where you can get it all of a sudden.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

angelfish220

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I would do barbs. They are so fun to watch. Don't worry if they look kinda blah at the petstore, they brighten up at home in a good tank. Remember for every male have 2 or so females, so that the aggression doesn't focus to much.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You can keep 2+ females for each male, but it's not a requirement. I have always kept all of my barbs in a near even split, though I usually add an extra female.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads