Preparing lava rock for aquarium use?

Joshaeus

Well Known
Reaction score
Hi everyone! How do you prepare lava rock for an aquarium? I want to use it for relatively cheap filter media and/or substrate for an opae ula setup (or perhaps other marine setups?), but I want to make sure it doesn't leach anything into the tank. Here is an example of the kind of product I am referring to;
(the seller said in the 'questions and answers' section that this can be used in aquariums but should be washed first). Thanks :)

Best Answer - View Willj626's answer

Willj626

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I would soak it in dechlorinated water in a large bucket and stir it around, then let water run through the lava rocks if you can. Basically all you want to do is get the dust out of the rocks. I use lava rock I get for cheap from a landscaper that works just fine in my tanks- never caused an issue.

OP
Joshaeus

Joshaeus

Well Known
Reaction score
Willj626 said:
I would soak it in dechlorinated water in a large bucket and stir it around, then let water run through the lava rocks if you can. Basically all you want to do is get the dust out of the rocks. I use lava rock I get for cheap from a landscaper that works just fine in my tanks- never caused an issue.
Thanks! Sounds simple enough. How long should you soak the lava rocks?

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom