Preparing For Vacation

1. BReefer97 Member Member

So I'm going on vacation in a few months and I'm worried about how my 3.5 gallon, fully cycled planted betta fish tank will do in my absence. First thing's first, I'm going to need a heater with a cut off. My heater doesn't have one, and will just continuously get hot. What heater can I use for a 3.5 gallon that will switch off whenever it gets to 78 degrees (I prefer keeping it as low as possible because my room gets extremely hot during the day and I've had the rank reach almost 95 degrees before)? And how do I feed him in my absence? I will be gone for about a week. We're probably going to have a family member come to the house because we have crested geckos, tree frogs, snakes, and sugar gliders that need daily attention. I trust they'll be able to top the water in my tank off (i lose about half an inch of water daily just because of evaporation), but I'm not sure I trust them with feeding him. I could probably leave a little pill case out with the poritions of food I want him to get. I just really need a new heater so he doesn't boil himself while I'm on vacation.

Is there anything else I should do to prepare to leave my tank behind for a week? I will be doing a water change the day I leave to make sure everything is in tip top shape.

2. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I wouldn't worry about feeding if you're only gone a week. Fish can easily go 2-3 weeks without food. I've gone on vacation for 10 days without feeding my fish and they were all perfectly fine when I got back.

As for a heater, I've never owned one for a tank that small before but I'm pretty sure you can get a good one that will turn off when it gets to 78. Let's wait for others to chime in.

3. Fanatic Well Known Member Member

Also, leaving them without food for that long will keep the water cleaner while you are gone.