Preparing for power outages

ColumbianShark3
Well Sounds like south central Indiana will be getting a substantial amount of snow/ice/freezing rain late Monday through early Wednesday meaning we could be seeing some power outages... so I guess it's time to break out the blankets to cover my tank with, as well as some buckets to do often water changes... will anyone else be running in to this problem like us in Indiana?....

Lucy
Oh, no. Stay safe!

It would be a good idea to get a few battery operated air pumps, if you don't have them already.

There are suggestions in this thread, in case you haven't seen it:

DJMonty
I don't think I will, but I don't check the news. I will after posting this, though. Over here in the UK, we sometimes get snow in December, almost never in January, and almost always in February. So, if we do, it won't be just yet.

ColumbianShark3
Oh, no. Stay safe!

It would be a good idea to get a few battery operated air pumps, if you don't have them already.

There are suggestions in this thread, in case you haven't seen it:

Thanks I'm going to have to make sure I prepare properly for this to ensure the safety of my fish.....

Brainlady
I wish you and your fishy friends all the best.... sorry the weather is so extreme.

ColumbianShark3
I wish you and your fishy friends all the best.... sorry the weather is so extreme.

Thanks I hope it won't be as bad as they're saying but I'm prepared for the worst...

Treefork
I'm in Fort Wayne, we're supposed to get possibly 12-18 inches of snow/sleet/freezing rain Tuesday Night. It's been a long time since we've had anything like that here. I'm hoping it overshoots us, but it sounds like it's going to cover about 30 states.

ColumbianShark3
I'm in Fort Wayne, we're supposed to get possibly 12-18 inches of snow/sleet/freezing rain Tuesday Night. It's been a long time since we've had anything like that here. I'm hoping it overshoots us, but it sounds like it's going to cover about 30 states.

Indeed it's one of the biggest storms I've seen around here in quite some time....

vanilla.exe
Good luck and be careful! We were having bad storms here a few weeks ago some people's power went out, luckily ours didn't. I don't have much in the way of preps, other than water bottles to put warm water in and float in the tanks to keep the water warm. I don't think it would be too bad of a problem for me unless it was out for an extended period. My tanks aren't too highly stocked and they're well planted. It would only be at night that I'd worry.

ColumbianShark3
As of right now we could get as much as an inch of ice plus freezing rain....

ColumbianShark3
And once the storm finally pushes through on wednesday we will see a decent amount of snow with winds gusting up to 40 MPH.....

ColumbianShark3
NWS Just put out a winter weather warning for us...

New Fish in Town
I've seen a lot of people from the Carolinas and Virginia post on here. Here is the link from another forum on this website. It can be tough to find sometimes. Looks like those of us in Raleigh will be out of power starting on Wednesday and some for multiple weeks. This could be as bad as Fran was in 1996. If you want to keep it simple just know Petsmart sells a top fin battery powered air pump that runs on 2 D cell batteries.

Time to prepare for power outages

Goldiemom
I've seen a lot of people from the Carolinas and Virginia post on here. Here is the link from another forum on this website. It can be tough to find sometimes. Looks like those of us in Raleigh will be out of power starting on Wednesday and some for multiple weeks. This could be as bad as Fran was in 1996. If you want to keep it simple just know Petsmart sells a top fin battery powered air pump that runs on 2 D cell batteries.

Time to prepare for power outages
I have one and they work! I just told hubbie that I need to buy some more.

Lucy
Thanks for the reminder New Fish In Town. Please stay safe!

Walmart or even a fish and tackle shop should have them.
I've got one that runs on electricity with battery back up should we lose power.

If you're in a pinch with several tanks and one air pump you can use a gang valve and run several lines to your tanks.

There are several ways to make homemade sponge filters that run off air pumps. Foam hair rollers and an old in take tube is just one way.

New Fish in Town
Thanks for the reminder New Fish In Town. Please stay safe!

Walmart or even a fish and tackle shop should have them.
I've got one that runs on electricity with battery back up should we lose power.

If you're in a pinch with several tanks and one air pump you can use a gang valve and run several lines to your tanks.

There are several ways to make homemade sponge filters that run off air pumps. Foam hair rollers and an old in take tube is just one way.

And of course don't forget a simple freshwater setup can go a while without power or filtration. If you have multiple tanks you can always move your battery powered air pump from tank to tank for an hour or so. Now a saltwater setup is a totally different ball game. You better have battery backup.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
Lucy
Replies
Views
ForceTen
Replies