Preparing For A New 65 Gallon Build

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by GainesPM, Jan 3, 2018.

1. GainesPMNew MemberMember

I have tried my hand with live plants in my smaller tanks and am wanting to try a more challenging aquascape in my new, larger tank.
    I have some inspiration shown here but I'm not wanting to replicate that exactly.
    I want to do a sand foreground with a larger river rock divider before smaller river gravel behind it and more rounded.
    I want do do some shorter plants around the edge and build up the back. I'm thinking kind of a lake look. I like the driftwood for the back and maybe attaching some java moss to give it life. I like the bright blue background from the picture also. I just am not sure how to build up the back without adding a ton of weight.
    I'm concerned about weight on a wrought iron stand. I don't want to build with rock and I don't like the idea of ramping up the river gravel. I saw some suggestions about using eggcrate or filling water bottles to build up the back.
    Anyone have suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2018
  2. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Giving this a bump up for you

3. outlaw

outlawWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to fishlore!

I don't know if it's just me, but I read that as there was a picture being referenced but I'm not seeing one. Unless your adding a lot (100+ extra pounds) I personally wouldn't be concerned. You may want to look into using styrofoam/process that people use for building 3d backgrounds. Would be same concept, just the bottom instead of the back.

4. OP
    OP
    G

GainesPMNew MemberMember

This was the inspiration picture.

Attached Files:

5. OP
    OP
    G

GainesPMNew MemberMember

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice