Preparing for a new 10 Gallon Planned Betta Scape

DTurner

Well it has been many years since I've had an aquarium. I had to move for a job and ended up selling my previous system to a good owner.

Earlier this year I got a 5 Gallon aquarium for my 3 year old. Then the bug hit me to do my own set up again in my office area. My wife was good with it but convinced me to do a less expensive and low tech system.

All the parts should be delivered this week and I'll start on the hardscape. I'll be sure to post updates for suggestions as I go along.

What I'm starting with is a 10 gallon leader tank, i actually got 2 because why not. I ordered some Dragon Stone and some Hamiledyi Driftwood. I also have Fluval Stratem for substrate. Will probably use my kids leftover gravel to create height in the back. I also may put a small amount of clay hydroponic balls under the substrate for nurtrients, not sure if this is a good idea. I'll be sprinkling root tabs throughout.

For equipment to keep it simple I got a Fluval Nano Submersible filter, Fluval P50 heater and Hygger LED lights.

The filter i got specifically due to the spray bar attachment as i know Betta's don't love big currents and the heater and light where relatively inexpensive for what they are.

The plan for now, i'm sure you all will talk me into or out of some things, is for a heavily planted set up. then sometime in December or January when the tank is well established I'll add some shrimp and other cleanup crew, i e. snails. Once those are established I'll search it for a Betta Fish.

Like i said, I actually did order 2 10 Gallon leaders, and all I would need would be substrate, heater and filter to do something else later on if i choose to.

I look forward to sharing the build and then the journal along the way. Honestly was just excited about the new setup I'll be doing that i had to post something to people who cared. My wife is good with it but doesn't share the same excitement and joy about it as I do.

~~DJ

BigManAquatics

Sounds like you got a pretty good idea what you want and a good plan to get it going real well!

DTurner

Sounds like you got a pretty good idea what you want and a good plan to get it going real well!

Hey, thanks the hard scape materials will be in today so I'll be messing around with seeing what formations work.

DTurner

PXL_20210905_235814951.jpg

The two options for Hardscape that i came up with. I feel like the one in the right has a more natural scape with a small cave for hiding. That is the one I'm leaning towards.

I'm also contemplating the left but with just one single rock structure in the middle instead of the two.

Opinions are welcome. I am looking at a Monte Carlo carpet in either of these two options. More moss/ferns on the right and Anibius/ red stems on the left option.

BigManAquatics

PXL_20210905_235814951.jpg

The two options for Hardscape that i came up with. I feel like the one in the right has a more natural scape with a small cave for hiding. That is the one I'm leaning towards.

I'm also contemplating the left but with just one single rock structure in the middle instead of the two.

Opinions are welcome. I am looking at a Monte Carlo carpet in either of these two options. More moss/ferns on the right and Anibius/ red stems on the left option.
Just an idea, i like to look for smaller, flatter pieces of dragon stone as i find i can work with them in a lot of different ways and sometimes incorporate driftwood with them easier. Though currently, i have none in my tanks.

DTurner

Progress has been made. Filter and lights are in so I did the hardscape, filled and started the dark start. I might not do a full 3 week dark start primarily because I placed the order with the local fish shop for some plants. they will be in late this week or next.

Got a Oase Thermo 100 Filter and Hygger Programmable LED lights. Also ended up pulling the trigger on a FZone CO2 Generator with a solenoid.

I added a backdrop (curtains tacked to the wall) and skirt (sheet tacked to desk) in order to make the area look more like a feature to my office area which is just in basement area.

Here are a few photos. I'm still tossing around ideas for livestock. I'm definitely doing a shrimp, probably cherry reds. But instead of a Betta i am considering 2 Dwarf Gourami's.

Attachments

• PXL_20210909_215739467.jpg
    PXL_20210909_215739467.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20210912_155514407.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210912_155514407.MP.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 12

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
betta06
Replies