Help Preparing a tank for my new bettas!

bettanoob

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi there, I am new to keeping bettas. I had fish before and I believed they die partly due to the fact that I never cycle the water before putting them in.

So I would like to clarify some doubts even before I get any new bettas.

Currently my tank is empty. So to prepare a tank for bettas:

1. Fill the tank with tapwater and add a few drops of dechlorine solution

2. Leave the water to age for 48 hours

3. Acclimatize the betta by leaving plastic bag (with the betta inside) to float inside the tank water which I have age for 48 hours.

4. After 1/2 an hour, I pour a bit of the tank water into the floating plastic bag for every 10 minutes.

5. After an additional 1/2 an hour of introducing tank water into the plastic bag every 10 minutes, I release the betta AND the water inside the plastic bag into the tank

Is my above procedure correct? Can any experts guide me? TIA! =)

Charlemagne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi there, and welcome to Fish Lore! Your procedure seems to be pretty much in order, except for one thing: the Nitrogen cycle. It's really reccomended that you cycle without fish. Here's a link that explains it, and has a few methods of fishless cycling.
https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm
One question I have is how big is the tank? Contrary to popular opinion, Bettas really need at least a 2.5 gallon (9.5 liters) tank, and do better in a 5 gallon (20 liter). Here's our Betta care guide, which should help some (I hope!)
https://www.fishlore.com/Articles/betta-fish-care-guide.htm
I hope this information helps! Good luck with your tank!

fbn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You do not need to add the water the betta is in. You could be adding some nasties into your tank .

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Welcome to fishlore!!

I agree, cycle the tank first - try this link: https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/four-methods-of-fish-less-cycling.48446/ . Then once this procedure is complete, go find your lovely new betta, acclimate him slowly (I usually go over the period of an hour) and add the fish to the tank. Get the betta out and throw away everything in the bag as there may besomething in the water from where you buy him, you can't be too safe!

bettanoob

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello, you guys really help me a lot a lot! all this little bits of infomation provided are really useful to me =)

my tank size is about 17 cm (lenght), 15 cm height and 14 cm width, so when i use this calculator online, it states 4 litres and 1 gallons

okay, i shall acclimate the betta for an hr and slowly add in water to the plastic bag every 10 minutes for another 1/2 an hr.

hmm, for the fishless nitrogen cycle, it stated that the process will take 2 weeks to 2 months. means i cannot get my betta next week already.

because i intend to collect my betta next week from the fish seller and now i only left 1 week to do the nitrogen cycle

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thats a little small for a betta. If you can get some filter media from a well established tank and put thisinto your filter, you will have an instant cycle. The fish really should not be going into an uncycled tank, it can do them lasting damage. If the tank is not cycled, it will need daily water changes with water conditioner such as Prime or Amquel+ until it does cycle, and it can take some time, yes! (It will be longer if you have fish in the tank...)

bettanoob

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hihi i intend to get a bigger tank. i do find my current tank too small.

i just came back from the fish shop and that seller introduce me this product called waterlife's bacterlife

she said i just need to age the water for 2 days and i can add a few drops of this solution.

i am skeptical about her comment that i did not need do to nitrogen water cycle for at least 2 weeks

pls advice me more about this

bettanoob

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Quick Overview
Virtually all bacteria products sold around the world contain Heterotrophic bacteria. These bacteria are responsible for the digestion and breakdown of solid organic waste in the aquarium.

This breakdown of solid waste results in the production of Ammonia, and other soluble Nitrogen compounds, which can then be broken down by the filtration system.

Products containing ONLY Heterotrophic bacteria will cause ammonia levels to INCREASE before they start to DECREASE.

BacterLife contains Heterotrophic bacteria AND Autotrophic bacteria. The Autotrophic bacteria feed directly on soluble Nitrogen compounds in the water like AMMONIA and NITRITE.

This means that BacterLife will IMMEDIATELY start to reduce the AMMONIA levels, without any dangerous increases.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The only product I am familiar with (and most of us here agree with) that actually works is Tetra SafeStart, we recommend using the whole bottle, this will cycle the tank within 10 days most. Here's a link: https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/q-a-with-tetra-about-tetra-safestart.58116/
I used this before and it worked like a charm if you follow the instructions in the thread exactly. Most other bacterial supplements are the wrong type of bacteria which will die off when you stop adding them to the tank and are essentially useless for cycling purposes.
If you add the fish and add the TSS, you'll be good to go (no water changes until it cycles...)

bettanoob

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi thank, as I really want my betta to survive, tomorrow I'll get a bigger tank and tetrasafe start!

Here's a summary from the article link bout TSS-

is it correct if I

1. Let the tank run at least 24 hours

2. add TSS to the tank

3. after 2 hours, add in the 2 bettas

4. do not add chloramines remover or detoxifier product for at least 7 days after
using TSS

up till point 4, I am confuse. it is because i have to add chloramines remover product since i am using tap water.

do advice. thank you =)

Shine

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
2 bettas... in a one gallon tank? Not something I would recommend. I wouldn't even consider a one gallon enough space for one betta, let alone two. People do have bettas in divided tanks... but usually the size they are dividing is a 10 gallon tank.

bettanoob

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
nono, i'm getting a bigger tank tomorrow for 2 bettas

hmm any idea how to do fishless cycling using tetrasafe start? did a search on that, not so much info found

Tigerlily

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
nono, i'm getting a bigger tank tomorrow for 2 bettas

hmm any idea how to do fishless cycling using tetrasafe start? did a search on that, not so much info found

I've used TSS in two tanks (10 gal and 6.6 gal) with great success. You do need to treat the water with a chlorine/chloramine remover. I use Tetra Aqua Safe, which is what is recommended by Tetra when using Safe Start. It's the products that detoxify/neutralize ammonia, nitrite and nitrates (such as Prime, which I use for water changes AFTER my tanks are fully cycled) that interfere with Safe Start.

I've never done a fishless cycle using TSS so I can't help you there.

Good Luck!

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Use the link I gave you in my last post, follow that exactly. Do not do a water change the whole 10 days, but if you need to top up the water, don't use Prime or Amquel+, as they can affect the TSS, rendering it useless...

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning and Welcome to Fish Lore!

Some great information above from other posters. Once you fill your tank, add your chlorine/chloramine remover first. Wait 24 hours before adding the Tetra Safe Start(TSS). I think it suggests that once you add the TSS wait another hour or two before adding the fish.

Once you've added the fish do not test your water or do any water changes, do not add any chemicals for 7 to 10 days so that the TSS has a chance to do what it needs to do. Don't interrupt it

TSS is meant to be used with fish! Be sure to use the entire bottle. Buy the size TSS bottle that best fits your tanks needs.

If you're going to house two bettas in the same tank then the tank needs to be divided. These fish do not play well with others and that includes members of their own kind. Link below on dividing the tank:
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/dividing-a-tank-for-bettas-fun-and-low-cost.46452/

Be sure to read over the Betta Care Guide (I think this was posted by another member but I'll post it again):
https://www.fishlore.com/Articles/betta-fish-care-guide.htm

I also recommend a 10g tank to house 2 Bettas. You may get away with a 5g and divide it, but I wouldn't go any lower.

Best of luck and please keep us posted.

Ken

Last edited:

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Umm, just to clarify, you are planning to put a divider into your tank between the two Bettas aren't you? Having them fight to the death is pretty ugly.

bettanoob

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
aquarist48: hi there, thank u so much!!! it is really very useful. but there isn't TSS in my country!! that's bad. any other alternative?

no right?

tigerfishy n claudicles: i will divide my tank. thank you.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

By chance do you have a friend that you could possibly get some of their filter media from? If so, and their tank is well established (several months of being cycled) you can Seed your tank for a jump start. It may not give you an instant cycle but it will cut down on the time it takes to cycle.

Or possibly your local fish store would be willing to part with some of theirs? It wouldn't hurt to check.

Ken

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
bettanoob, you are getting some good info here, and I'm glad you're doing your research, I can't wait until you're all set up!!

I know where I am, I had to buy the TSS on the internet, you could try that, but as far as I'm aware, I've not seen any other products recommended. (Someone had luck with Seachem Stability, but it needs to be added monthly to be beneficial, a truly cycled tank does not need any more bacteria to be added at any time, keep this in mind).

Best of luck, you're off to a great start!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom