Preparing a 65 gallon tank step by step

jtino

I have a brand new 65 gallon tank and I'm using sand for the first time. The sand has been pre-washed and is now in the tank. I also have Manzanita driftwood i want to use. My question is, what would be the best way to set this up. Should I add the water and install the Fluval 407 canister filter?

OR do i just add water, let the sand settle and then add the driftwood and install filter?
Should I do water changes in between all those steps?

Thanks.

cdwag29

I think it's personal preference.

I know many people will do the hardscape, substrate and plants first before any water is added, fill it up and then add the filter and heater.

Others will fill it up half way, add decor and the heater/filter, then finish filling it up.

Or, if you're anything like me and you could care less about getting your hands wet, I fill it up first then add plants and hardscape that way I feel like I got a good look at how the finished setup will be.

In a tank as large as a 65, I'd personally do the scape first before adding any water and add the filter later once the sand is settled. It'd be pretty hard to mess it around with the scape and such in a large tank once it's full.

ProudPapa

As mentioned above, the order of those steps really doesn't matter, though I would recommend turning your filter off before adding sand to allow it time to settle.

As far as I know there's no reason to do water changes at any point when setting up the substrate, decorations, etc.

jtino

Thank you both. This might be a dumb question, but does it make a difference if i have a powerhead running while doing a fishless cycle?

cdwag29

I can’t imagine it would make a difference. Might save you some money on the electricity bill if you waited till you got fish though.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
kakunka
Replies
Views
Donthemon
Replies
Views
Asomeone
Replies
Views