Prepare Java Moss How Do I

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Epicoz, Apr 22, 2019.

1. EpicozWell Known MemberMember

2. nanofishneededValued MemberMember

I would rinse it with some old tank water to make sure there aren't any nasties hanging around in there. Then drop it in the water and fluff it up a little bit so that it spreads out and grows faster!

3. EpicozWell Known MemberMember

Ok so I shouldn’t put it in a bucket of just tap water first. And I can’t rinse it with tap water

4. midnaWell Known MemberMember

i would rinse it under tap water then let it soak for a bit in dechlorinated water.

5. EpicozWell Known MemberMember

Ok so I should dose a bucket of water with Seachem prime and let it dip after rinsing it in the sink

6. midnaWell Known MemberMember

yep, that's what i would do! soak it for at least 5 minutes

7. MamaLlama76Valued MemberMember

Tap water usually contains chlorine and that will kill any beneficial bacteria on your plants and then transfers the chlorine to your fish tank. The transferred chlorine will kill your fish. Do a small water change and rinse the plants in the water you pulled out of your tank. (By the way, discarded fish water is excellent for house or garden plants, fish waste in it is an excellent fertilizer for everything from your average house plant to tomatoes, corn or whatever.)

8. EpicozWell Known MemberMember

Cool I’m doing a water change in a hour or so where should I store it in the mean time

9. nanofishneededValued MemberMember

Just in the bag is fine! As long as it's moist it'll be fine. It's a very tough plant.

10. EpicozWell Known MemberMember

Ok I’ll just leave it in the container out of direct sunlight

11. EpicozWell Known MemberMember

It’s falling apart in water is this ok

12. EpicozWell Known MemberMember

13. Sarcasm IncludedWell Known MemberMember

If you are not doing a chlorine or alum dip just rinse it with regular tap water and spread it out in your tank. Any chlorine that you get from tap water is so minute that there is no concern of harming your fish. You can put your plants in full tap water and leave it sit and no harm will come to it, not that it kills anything worth mentioning (snails). If you want to kill snails, you need to do a chlorine or alum dip. I am assuming that your tank is already cycled so any beneficial bacteria on the plant would be in excess and the tank would have the excess amount die off so zero sum.

14. EpicozWell Known MemberMember

So will tap kill parasites but how do I stop it from falling apart it already did