20 Gallon Tank Prepare Filter for Tank Upgrade

Melina1020

Hi everyone! I need some advice on how to prepare my double sponge filter for my new 20g tank. I currently have two tanks: a 10g planted betta tank near the end of the cycle (no ammonia, ~0.10-0.25ppm of nitrite), another 10g also in-cycle with 6 WCMM plus some live plants.

I'm looking to move the WCMM to a 20g tank so they have more space to roam around but I need some advice to prepare the new sponge filter to speed up the cycle in the new tank.

The WCMM tank is currently running with a small corner filter, probably not gonna be enough for a 20g which is why I decided to use a double sponge filter.

So my question is: is there a way to cycle the 20g quickly so that I can make the move sooner?
Will BB establish in my new filter if I just throw it into one of my 10g without using an additional air pump?
Or can I simply put both the old filter and new filter into the 20g and run the air pump on the new filter so it pulls the BB out from the old filter?

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks for reading! Hope it's not too confusing to read! :') Please let me know if there's any confusion or questions.

mattgirl

Welcome to Fishlore :)

If you are just upgrading their tank you can simply move the cycle from the 10 gallon over to the 20 gallon. Just go ahead and move EVERYTHING from the 10 gallon over to the 20 gallon. Everything includes water, fish, substrate, all the plants and any other decor you have in the tank. Bacteria is growing on everything in the tank so you want to move all of it over.

There is little to no bacteria free floating in the water but it is the water your fish are acclimated to. By moving the water over your fish will just feel like they have just gotten a 50% water change. Run both the original sponge filter and the new one in the new tank. Both should be powered by the air pump. Some bacteria will grow on the sponge by just being in the tank but it will grow faster if it is actually up and running.

Upvote 0

Melina1020

Welcome to Fishlore :)

If you are just upgrading their tank you can simply move the cycle from the 10 gallon over to the 20 gallon. Just go ahead and move EVERYTHING from the 10 gallon over to the 20 gallon. Everything includes water, fish, substrate, all the plants and any other decor you have in the tank. Bacteria is growing on everything in the tank so you want to move all of it over.

There is little to no bacteria free floating in the water but it is the water your fish are acclimated to. By moving the water over your fish will just feel like they have just gotten a 50% water change. Run both the original sponge filter and the new one in the new tank. Both should be powered by the air pump. Some bacteria will grow on the sponge by just being in the tank but it will grow faster if it is actually up and running.
Got it! I'll move everything to the new tank! Thanks a bunch!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
30 Gallon Tank Upgrading filter
Replies
Views
JoeCal52
Replies
Views
MasterPython
  • Question
20 Gallon Tank Emergency: Filter Stopped