Premixing Jungle fungus cure

1. Chloebo Initiate Member

I have a sick betta in a 2.5 gallon. Not quite sure what's wrong, but I'm trying Jungle Fungus Cure powder packets. Each packet treats 10 gallons, so I did my best to divide it into 4 for 2.5 gallons. I want to lower the water level down and put just 1 gallon of water in the tank.

Can I premix the Jungle and do the 2nd dose after 48 hours? Or should I just do 1 gallons worth and throw out the rest? I don't want to waste it but also don't think I can accurately split powder into 10 groups.

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Why are you only leaving 1 gal of water in the tank?

3. Chloebo Initiate Member

So the water level is lower. He's struggling to get to the surface.

4. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Can you tell us a bit more about your setup? Maybe we can help figure out what is wrong.

Can you attach pics?

Water parameters (pH, temp, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates)? Heated and filtered?

5. Chloebo Initiate Member

He's in a 2.5 gallon mini tank. No filter, heated to 80. Ammonia and nitrates are 0, nitrates are 0 to 5 ish. He was a blue betta and now is totally white over the course of two years, which I guess can be normal? I'm mostly concerned about his fins, they've gone totally transparent over the last month or so and he struggles to swim. I tried fasting and a pea first, then melafix/pimafix and salt, but didn't seem to help. Hoping the Jungle fungus clear would have helped any fin rot, and they will heal. The pic rotated itself, so water level is actually on the left. You can see he's sort of vertical.

[​IMG]

6. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You can't have a cycled tank without some sort of filtration. If you have nitrates, it's because they're already in your tap. And you do have ammonia in your tank at other times if it's not cycled. I'd get a filter for this tank as soon as possible (even a sponge filter is great) and cycle it. I think you'll notice a major improvement in his fin condition after this. In the mean time, do 50% water changes to protect him from ammonia.

I'm not sure I'd use the meds until you get the tank a filter and cycled - I think that will solve the problem.