Prego guppy. Can they miscarry?

1. musserump09

musserump09 Well Known Member Member

[​IMG]

Her water has been bad off and on. Not sure how well or how far along she is. Ive had her for a month almost.

2. Aster

Aster Well Known Member Member

If I'm not mistaken, that's a male, not a female...

3. FallenOwl

FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

I agree, it looks like a male

4. Platylover

Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah that's definitely a male, unless the photo came out strange. But I don't see a gravid spot either. To answer your question though, yes, they can miss carry. Or they can just not give birth, if they miss carry the fry are usually under developed and dead or just dead. Welcome to the forum by the way.:)

5. OP
    OP
    musserump09

are you saying that because of her fin shape? its not triangular. its rounded. but then again I'm confused now anyother pic might help?

6. Platylover

Yes another photos could help, but here's how to sex them just in case it's helpful-
    [​IMG]
    This is a female livebearer, see how the anal fin is round and 'full'.
    [​IMG]
    This is a male livebearer, see how the anal fin is pointed and straight back.

You could also have a late blooming male if the fin is slowly starting to become pointed.:)

7. OP
    OP
    musserump09

well I'm glad I moved him out for no reason :( darn it.

I keep looking online at photos of females and he looked kinda femalish but then again I'm a newbie.

8. Platylover

Don't worry about it, a lot of the times they can trick you. Especially the males that don't show it until way late. I've had a female that I bought actually turn out to be a male a few months later(may have been longer). Do you have any other females? Personally if you only have males I'd keep it that way for a while until your ready to breed them. The females will give birth every month and you'll be overrun quickly.

9. Aster

Aster Well Known Member Member

Tail shape doesn't always guarantee gender, you have to look at the anal fin :) Females have a fan shaped triangular anal fin (and also a gravid spot behind their stomach), while males have a pointy gonopodium instead.

Pictures of the differences:

Attached Files:

10. OP
    OP
    musserump09

Thank you so much! I believe he was bloated. Which is why i thought pregnant with 3 males. All of the other guppies would chase this guy all the time. So the behaviors threw me off as well. I check with my LPS. Im pretty sure i got all males.

The peas got his stomach down big time :)