prego cherry shrimp

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by jersey, Apr 2, 2010.

1. jersey

jersey Valued Member Member

hi im posting this here because the cherry shrimp one doesnt look like it gets as much traffic.
    i think two of my cherry shrimp are pregnant and i am wondering how long it takes for them to hatch. yesterday they had only a couple of eggs and today threres a lot more than before. i dont think they could fit any more under their legs

2. thequietman44

thequietman44 Valued Member Member

It's pretty easy to tell if shrimp are carrying eggs or not. They are usually pretty visible as black, green, or yellow balls under the tail. Once the eggs are in place under the tail, it usually takes about a month, sometimes more for them to hatch. You can tell the eggs are ready to hatch when you can see tiny black eyes inside the eggs.

If you're lucky you might even get to watch the tiny shrimplets emerging :).

3. OP
    OP
    jersey

yeah they have a bunch of little yellow balls that appeared yesterday and lastnight

4. i

ilikefish Valued Member Member

Enjoy! Shrimp are awsome! : )

5. peacemaker92

peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

Congrats on your shrimps eggs! Hope you can start a rcs family and sell some to those interested :D Best of luck! :;hf

6. OP
    OP
    jersey

hah i know i think i already have a couple of interested people. but now i understand why dog breeders interview their potential pet parents lol. im feeling protective over the baby shrimp. haha.
    how many eggs on average do they have. i cant seem to count them.

7. thequietman44

thequietman44 Valued Member Member

They usually have 10-20 eggs, sometimes more and sometimes less though. You'll probably get about 10 baby shrimp per female, but as those babies grow the population will grow exponentially. My shrimp have babies about every 45 days.

8. OP
    OP
    jersey

ok so if i dont find anyone to take any of my babies what would be a good fish to help keep the population in check. but not kill the adults.

9. OP
    OP
    jersey

mind you this is a 10 gallon tank

10. i

ilikefish Valued Member Member

A dwarf gourami would do the job... It would get the babies but the parents wouldn't quite fit into the mouth... But if you have a heavily planted tank you really won't get anywhere... the babies are good hiders lol

11. josh11551

josh11551 Well Known Member Member

i would take them if you couldn't find anyone to give them to and ill pay for shipping...

12. Betta Whisperer

Betta Whisperer Well Known Member Member

Jersey I will take all that you want to get rid of and I am willing to pay for shipping. Just PM me later if you want.

13. josh11551

ohhh so now ur tryin to get them away from me huh whisper??j/k (i asked first :'( lol)

14. Betta Whisperer

LOL no not really:-[. How about if we split them. You know. Share and share alike.;D

15. josh11551

yeah if he gives them away we can share , this community has shared info with me so ill share with the community(at least you, whisper)Lol :))

16. Betta Whisperer

Ahhhhhhhhh That's so sweet of you josh. Thanks.

17. josh11551

no problem always happy to help :):;hug2

18. OP
    OP
    jersey

haha i actually have no idea how to ship something like that.

19. Betta Whisperer

Sturdy box,Styofoam sides, bottom and top, fish bags to put the shrimp in. Then ship Priority Mail.

20. josh11551

To me first lol jk me and whisper.....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice